Where can I get GOES-17 Satellite Data?

How do I...?
mcwillms

Where can I get GOES-17 Satellite Data?

Post by mcwillms »

I am unable to find a source for GOES-17 data. the official website (www.goes-r.gov):

ABI engineers are testing a permanent software fix that should conclude in January 2019. Upon successful confirmation of the fix, the operational declaration to GOES West should occur soon after. In the meantime, the previously scheduled ABI calibration activities have resumed.

However I am seeing GOES-17 visual data here: http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu

So I am wondering, if anyone knows if there is a server/dataset that has GOES-17 data accessible, or a website/ftp I can download the goes abi data from?

Thanks
bobc

Re: Where can I get GOES-17 Satellite Data?

Post by bobc »

Hello,

I'm not aware of any freely-available ADDE server hosting GOES-17 data. Satellite Data Services (SDS) at the University of Wisconsin has ADDE servers for GOES-17 data, but this requires accounting information. If you are interested in obtaining data from SDS, you can use the Contact Information page to get in touch with them.

I'm sure this data will eventually be available through NOAA CLASS, but that site is currently down due to the government shutdown.

The only way I'm aware of to freely obtain GOES-17 data currently is through Unidata's test catalog. If you go to the General>Catalogs chooser in McIDAS-V, enter "https://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/catalog.xml" in the Catalog text box and hit Enter. From here, you can expand GOES-17 and work your way through the menus to select CONUS, FD, M1, or M2 sector data. A couple notes about the data from this catalog:

1. There is no "time" dimension in this data. Therefore, you can't easily create a loop of this data without writing a NcML wrapper file that extracts the date/time information from the filename. You'll need to have the files locally on your system to do this. See the 02/12/18 post on this thread for a sample of how this NcML file could be created and how to work with it.
  2. The files on this Unidata catalog are not the mission-standard netCDF files, but they're rather stitched together tiles from the sectorized data. Because of this, the navigation variables/attributes are different than the standard files. If you load and display a full disk GOES-16 or GOES-17 file you'll note that no map is visible and probing of the data doesn't work as expected. If you change the projection of the Main Display to World then things look better. This is something else that NcML might be able to address, though I haven't investigated this recently.

If I become aware of another source of GOES-17 data, I'll let you know. Other users of the forum may be able to chime in as well.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
mcwillms

Post by mcwillms »

Thanks for the information Bob!
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi again,

A bit of good news. I learned that Unidata is actively working on ADDE servers and datasets for GOES-17 data that they will announce publicly this coming Sunday. I'll give things a check on Monday and assuming things work well I'll respond to this thread with the server/dataset names and instructions for how to access them in McIDAS-V.

Bob
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

For GOES-16/17 data, you can add the following datasets:

RTGOESR
RTGOESS

pointing at the following servers:

adde.ucar.edu
atm.ucar.edu
lead.unidata.ucar.edu

It was requested by the server administrators that you use adde.ucar.edu whenever you can. If that is down, try using atm.ucar.edu, and use lead.unidata.ucar.edu only if the other two servers are down. You can add these datasets to the list of datasets available in the Satellite>Imagery chooser with the following process:

1. From the Main Display window, select "Tools > Manage ADDE Datasets"
  2. From the Remote Data tab of the ADDE Data Manager, click the "Add New Dataset" button
  3. In the Add Remote Dataset window, enter "adde.ucar.edu" for Server and "RTGOESR" for Dataset. This dataset contains GOES-16 data for all sectors and bands. Click "Verify and Add server"
  4. Repeat #3 to add adde.ucar.edu/RTGOESS
  5. Close the ADDE Data Manager window
  6. From the Satellite>Imagery chooser of the Data Explorer, select adde.ucar.edu for the server and "RTGOESR" or "RTGOESS" as the dataset. Click Connect and work with the data as normal.
Note that you can repeat this process to add RTGOESR/RTGOESS to atm.ucar.edu and lead.unidata.ucar.edu. There are also currently datasets "NPGOESR" and "NPGOESS" on adde.ucar.edu. For NPGOESR, you get the L1 and L2 products for GOES-16. Currently, NPGOESS looks to only have L1 data.

I gave these datasets a try on adde.ucar.edu and things seem to be working well. If you run into any problems, please let us know.

Thanks,
Bob