Post by Cloudy »

When I do an RGB product from Data Source:
Server lead.unidata.ucar.edu,
Dataset: RTGOESR,
for example: R: GOES-16 Full Disk 10.3 um IR Surface & cloud,
G: FDC07 - GOES-16 Full Disk 3.89 um IR Sfc / cloud / fog / fire / winds, and
B: FDC15 - GOES-16 Full Disk 12.3 um IR Total water / ash and SST,
Number of times 5,
activating Properties, Polling, Automatically Reload: Active, Check Every: 10.0 minutes, Reload Displays: Active, the resulting RGB product is not updated.
With any RGB image the same thing happens.
This does not happen with products made from a single channel, under the same conditions.
I am using McIDAS-V, Version 1.7u1, Build-date 2018-01-25 10:30 in OS Windows 10 Pro, 64 bits.
Is this a bug, or I doing something wrong? Many thanks in advance.
jayh

Re: RGB image no update

Post by jayh »

Hello-

I've been testing different cases and I am having success getting my loops to update. I have a few questions for you.

1. Are you loading from the Image Type: "FD" (which has all the bands) or from the individual "FD13" "FD07" "FD15" datasets? If you are loading from the individual datasets and have 3 Data Sources listed in the Field Selector, you need to make Polling/Reload Displays active for all three datasets. I also saw a blank image for a few moments while all the datasets were reloading.

If #1 did not fix the issue, I have further questions.

2. Are you loading the data at full resolution or making any changes with regards to the geographical extents?

3. If the display is not updating, are you seeing blank images, or are you getting any errors displayed?

Thanks, Jay
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

Hi Jay, many thanks for your response.
1. I am loading from FD-GOES-16 FD all bands, and Polling Active, Reload Display active, using the formula Three Color (RGB) image (Autoscale) from Imagery.

2. Loading to full resolution, without making changes in the geographical extension

3. The display is not updated even if the Polling and Reload Display are activated at the predetermined interval, and no errors appear

When I use the formula Imagery ---> Three Color (RGB) image the RGB image is updated normally, but it is not possible to adjust the RGB or Gamma ranges of each RGB récipe. Any ideas?

Thanks, Raul
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

Hi Jay, I tested the SEVIRI RGB plugin and the images are updated normally. The problem is with the formula "Imagery ---> Three Color (RGB) Image (Auto-scale)", which does not update the images.
Many thanks for all
Raul
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Raul-

I was able to reproduce your problem of the 3 Color RGB (Auto-Scale) formula not updating when Polling is active. I have written this up in inquiry 2711 for evaluation to be fixed.

For now, we did discover that the other "3 Color (RGB) Image" display type (used with the 3 Color RGB formula) does work with Polling. If you follow these steps, you can use the 3 Color (RGB) Image display type.

1. In the Field Selector, when looking at the Formula list, right-click on the "Three Color (RGB) Image (Auto-scale)" formula and choose "Edit Formula."

2. In the Formula Editor window that appears, you can add the RGB display type you need. Click the "+" sign to open the list of Imagery display types and check the "3 Color (RGB) Image" display type. Then click "Change Formula" at the bottom of the window.
Formula-Editor.png

3. Now when you load data in the 3 Color RGB (Auto-Scale) formula like you did before, you should see two Displays options, 3 Color (RGB) Image and RGB Composite. Choose 3 Color (RGB) Image. I was able to have this update for a few hours as expected after I turned Polling on.

Let me know if you have any problems with this work-around.

Thanks, Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Jay -

Could it be that this problem is somehow linked to to discussion "looking for correct data type in RGB script"?

cheers, HP
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

Hi Jayh
I am currently solving the problem using the formula "Three Color (RGB) image" and the update works well, but it is not possible to adjust the RGB or Gamma ranges of each RGB recipe. I am preferring 'RGB Composite' because Layer Controls let's you tune the RGBs by varying range and gamma of the color beams. With '3 Color (RGB) Image' and gammas can not be accessed. This is the problem. I hope the inquire 2711 fix the problem.

Thanks, Raul
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi HP- It is possible they are related. I will cross-reference 2296 with 2711.

Hi Raul- You are correct, I misspoke before, I thought the Gamma controls were tied to the formula, when in fact they are tied with the RGB Composite display type. Bob and I tried many different combinations, but we did not receive any loops that would update with Polling. I will keep inq. 2711 in evaluation for the managers and programmers to take a look at.

Thanks, Jay