script calling ADDE server not working - v1.8

Errors and unexpected results
hproe

script calling ADDE server not working - v1.8

Post by hproe »

Hi -

I have a script that fails when accessing an ADDE server in recent 1.8 nightlies. The script is uploaded to the SSEC server under name 'HPscriptBug.txt'. Note that I have deleted my account information. When issueing the command

Code: Select all

sequence_ABI_CTYP('2018-03-06 20:00:00UTC',1,1,'geoarc.ssec.wisc.edu','AGOES16','FD',(40,-95.5),(1000,1800),0)

or

Code: Select all

sequence_ABI_AIRM('2018-03-06 20:00:00UTC',1,1,'geoarc.ssec.wisc.edu','AGOES16','FD',(40,-95.5),(1000,1800))

in both cases I get the following error message:
1 2018065 20:00:00 (partially) missing frame
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "<string>", line 90, in sequence_ABI_CTYP
File "<string>", line 306, in makeTimeSequence
IndexError: index out of range: 0

I.e. the calls to the ADDE server are failing (for no obvious reason for me).
Other, very similar scripts work fine in recent 1.8nightlies, as do the 2 calls above under 1.7u1.

It appears to me that the bug has crept up in the course of the 1.8 development, because I am quite sure the 2 commands started to fail only a couple of weeks ago.

HP
bobc

Re: script calling ADDE server not working - v1.8

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

I was able to reproduce the error with your sequence_ABI_CTYP() function, but not sequence_ABI_AIRM(). The issue with sequence_ABI_CTYP() is the unit=, which you have set to "ALBE". In work being completed in Inquiry 2589, we are changing up the way that units work with ADDE in scripting due to problems that other users have reported. Currently, the following unit mappings are set:

• Albedo: ALB, ALBEDO
  • Brightness: BRIT, BRIGHTNESS
  • Temperature: TEMP, TEMPERATURE
  • Radiance: RAD, RADIANCE
  • Raw: RAW
  • Reflectance: REFL, REFLECTIVITY, REFLECTANCE

From the above list, your functions that currently use unit='ALBE' can be changed to either unit='ALB' or unit='ALBEDO'. From the file you put on our ftp server, it looks like this would be an issue in your sequence_ABI_CTYP() and sequence_ABI_CPHA() functions. Your sequence_ABI_AIRM() function works because it uses unit='TEMP', and 'TEMP' is defined in the unit mapping table above.

I put Inquiry 2589 in programmer iteration to look at getting a better error message. I also left a note in the inquiry to add this unit mapping table to the User's Guide once the inquiry has been fully tested.

Thanks for pointing this out, and please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
hproe

Re: script calling ADDE server not working - v1.8

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -
Confirmed. It's the name of the unit! I am looking forward to see a consolidated list in the Help and an improved error message.
many thanks, HP