McIDAS-V version 1.7u1 and GOES-R

How do I...?
francoisborel

McIDAS-V version 1.7u1 and GOES-R

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning all the Team,

First, congratulations for your new version of McIdas !!

I'm trying it. I have a question, but i'm not sure that it's a question for McIdas support. So sorry if i'm going on the wrong way.

Beforce 2018, i used to produce imagery IR and VIS with GOES-13 and from Noaa Class data (area format).

Now with Goes-R, i need to do the same thing. I'm not working with realtime data. Only past for pas periods ....

The big question (my god), how can i make my pictures like before with this new satellite ???

I saw that i can order data from Noaa Class Site (in nc format), but never be able to get ir or visible imagery. I opened an issue with their support, but the response is very long. Noaa Support is not as helpfully as McIdas Support !!!

I thank you a lot for your help. Have a nice week.

Sincerely,

françois
bobc

Re: McIDAS-V version 1.7u1 and GOES-R

Post by bobc »

Hello François -

I was able to order netCDF L1b files (full disk, all bands including visible and IR). Here's how I did it:

1. From the NOAA CLASS website, I selected the "GOES-R Series ABI Products GRABIPRD (partially restricted L1b and L2+ Data Products" from the top dropdown and clicked "GO".
  2. I selected my date/time range under Temporal.
  3. For Level, I selected: L1b.
  4. For Channel, I used Shift+Left-Click to choose Channels 1 through 16.
  5. For ABI Scan Sector, I selected: Full Disk
  6. I clicked Search and proceeded to order my data as normal.

At this point, in McIDAS-V 1.7u1 on an OS X machine, I used the local ABI server to set up a local dataset and things worked fine. Note that the local server for ABI is available on OS X and Linux platforms, but not on Windows. On Windows, you can display these netCDF files through the General>Files/Directories chooser using the NetCDF Grid data type. Note that each file contains only one time. Generally, in McIDAS-V you could choose the "Aggregate Grids By Time" Data Type, which aggregates multiple individual times into one data source to create a loop. This makes use of the "time" dimension included with most netCDF/grib files. However, this ABI data does not include a time dimension. From ncdump:

Code: Select all

dimensions:
    number_of_time_bounds = 2;
    band = 1;
    number_of_image_bounds = 2;
    y = 5424;
    x = 5424;
    num_star_looks = 24;

I've been able to create loops on Windows in the past by writing a NcML wrapper file that sets the _s* part of the filename (e.g. s20180221815398) as the time of the data. This can be done with dateFormatMark. This link has good examples of how dateFormatMark, as well as NcML aggregation in general, can be used. Once this NcML file is created, you can select it and load it through the General>Files/Directories chooser as a gridded data source. Note that we have Inquiry 2400 written up go make it easier to aggregate these ABI files together without having to use NcML.

Additionally, SSEC Satellite Data Services has archive remote ADDE servers that have GOES-16 data. If you are interested in pursuing this, let me know and I can get you in contact with them.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning Bob,

I thank you a lot. Very "touchy" things for me. I have any experience in developpment or language like that. I understand the global way and i will try to do what you explain.

I will come back if i have some problems. It look a little compicate for myself. We will see :-)

Thank you a lot and have a nice day.

françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Bob,

It's ok for displaying a picture of GOES 16 now. Thank you very a lot. I choose channel 02, just for example.
I will now build my pictures and others channels.

I will save them picture by picture because i have difficulties with the DataFormatMark (with my poor english i my poor technical experience in this domain).

But now i can display my pictures !!!

Thank you again. Have a nice week end...

françois
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi françois -

I'm glad that you are able to display your images and capture pictures. If you (or anyone else) are interested more in the DateFormatMark NcML aggregation, here is a quick example:

1. I have a directory set up where I have 33 CONUS Band 16 files:
    • OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M4C16_G16_s20171632100223_e20171632105036_c20171632105079.nc
    • OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M4C16_G16_s20171632105223_e20171632110036_c20171632110081.nc
    • OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M4C16_G16_s20171632110223_e20171632115035_c20171632115087.nc
  2. I created a NcML file, called abi_agg.ncml, that contains this text (file also attached):

Code: Select all

<netcdf xmlns="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/namespaces/netcdf/ncml-2.2">
      <aggregation dimName="time" type="joinNew">
        <variableAgg name="Rad"/>
        <variableAgg name="DQF"/>
        <remove name="t" type="variable"/>
        <scan location="" dateFormatMark="OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M4C16_G16_s#yyyyDDDHHmmss" suffix=".nc" subdirs="false"/>
      </aggregation>
    </netcdf>

abi_agg.ncml
    (356 Bytes) Downloaded 353 times

This file aggregates the "Rad" (Radiance) and "DQF" (Data Quality Flags) fields included with the data. It also removes the "t" (time) variable from the data in order to properly do the aggregation. The dateFormatMark section of this NcML file is where the date/time is pulled from the filename, where yyyy=year; DDD=day; HH=hour; mm=minute; ss=second.

Note that this NcML file is in the same directory as the ABI CONUS band 16 data files. You can adjust "scan location=" to point to a specific directory if you don't want to have the NcML file in the same directory as the data. My directory contains ONLY band 16 CONUS data. You can adjust the beginning of "dateFormatMark=" ("OR_ABI-L1b-RadC-M4C16...") to match your file names if you are using a different domain (e.g. FD or Mesoscale 1/2) or band.
  3. Go to the General>Files/Directories chooser and navigate to the directory with your NcML and ABI files. Choose the "Grid Files" data type, select your NcML file, and click Add Source. This will merge all of your ABI files into one data source which you can then go on and display through the Field Selector.

- Bob
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

No answer for this return. Sorry again.

Yes thank you, i will work this.

i'm discovering McIdas, step by step ..

Best Regards
françois