keystrokes for emulation of middle mouse button

Errors and unexpected results
Bernie Connell

keystrokes for emulation of middle mouse button

Post by Bernie Connell »

We use McV on a laptop and like to see data values under the cursor. This uses the middle mouse button, and occasionally only the touchpad is available. With the previous version of McV (1.5), we were able to: For a Mac laptop, hold the Option key while clicking in the bottom right corner of the touchpad. For a Windows laptop, hold the Alt key while clicking in the bottom right corner of the touchpad. This doesn't work for the currect version (1.6) on either the Mac or Windows. Is there something new we need to do?

Bernie
bobc

Re: keystrokes for emulation of middle mouse button

Post by bobc »

Hi Bernie -

Thanks for reporting this problem. This bug was written up as Inquiry 2221 for OS X, but it's good information to know that it's also a problem on Windows. I've added note of this to the inquiry.

Testing on an OS X laptop I've found a workaround by modifying the navigation controls in the user preferences. Here's how you can do that:
  1. From the Main Display window, go to Edit>Preferences
  2. In the User Preferences window, go to the Navigation Controls tab (from the left side of the window)
  3. Select the 'Custom' Navigation Mode at the top of the tab
  4. In the left column for 'Left', change the 'Control' dropdown from 'Select' to 'Cursor/Data Readout'
  5. Click OK at the bottom of the tab

At this point, you should be able to probe displays by holding down the Control button and pressing one finger down on the touchpad. I don't have a Windows laptop to test this on at the moment, but I have no reason to believe this method wouldn't work there as well. If you give this a try and notice any problems, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
Bernie Connell

Post by Bernie Connell »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the workaround - I have to press the crtl button and the left mouse button simultaneously with fingers on one hand and use a finger on the other hand to move the cursor around to sample.

Bernie
hproe

Post by hproe »

Confirmed, works for Windows as well!
HP