lat/lon label font size

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

lat/lon label font size

Post by kbedka1 »

I'm trying to add small lat/lon labels to a graphic, I have the smallest font size selected (size 8), but the size looks like 16 or greater if I were to type this text into a word document, see attached. Something seems to be amiss with regards to the font size list and what is appearing on the screen.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 11.00.36 AM.png
hproe

Re: lat/lon label font size

Post by hproe »

Let me chime in. Some time has gone since I last tried to use lat/lon labels, only to abandn it again for partially unsatisfactory behaviour. Returning to it now with the most recent build, I note that the font size now appears to scale in proportion when changing fon size. But I find the font sizes rendering the labels too big, i.e. the smallest font size offered (=8) still is rendered way too big for being the smallest size offered (independent of the font). I suggest that the displayed size be halved, at least.

HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris and HP -

Thanks for noting your concerns about font sizes. I've replicated the lat/lon label size issues with the default background maps. Inquiry 1627 already existed, which involved bad lat/lon label sizes when a default layout was used. However, it doesn't appear that you need to be using a default layout to see this problem. For example, if I'm working with a small enough window then the size 8 font of lat/lon labels looks reasonable when comparing it to size 8 font in Microsoft Word. However, if I made my window larger, the font size in the display becomes much larger than it should be for size 8.

Additionally, this isn't just a problem with lat/lon labeling through the default background maps. For example, if you enable 'Show display scales' on the wireframe box and set the font size to 8, it is much larger than it should be, especially if you zoom in on the display.

I wrote up fixing this issue as Inquiry 2298.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
kbedka

Post by kbedka »

I'm still having big problems with the lat/lon label font size. See atttachment, the numbers that you see are supposed to be size 8 font. I'd say they're more like size 80 font. I cannot get any usable lat/lon labelling on displays. Has any work on this occurred since March when I last posted about this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 2.07.43 PM.png
hproe

Post by hproe »

Again, I fully concur with Kris. This is a sad story!
HP
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris/HP-

This problem is written up in Inquiry 1627 and Inquiry 2298.

I wanted to send the programmer more information on how to recreate the problems you are seeing (especially in the most recent screenshot). I am able to replicate your original font size issue from March (looking at archive GOES14 1min data). I'm not able to recreate the unusable large fonts in your last screenshot. Are there specific steps to see that behavior?

Thanks, Jay
kbedka

Post by kbedka »

I have displayed the GOES-14 data in a different projection, see the following file on your ftp server for example:
pub/incoming/20150525T2100Z.nc

That's the only uniqueness that I can think of for this example.
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

Thanks for posting that file, I didn't replicate the pic you posted earlier in this thread, but I definitely noticed larger fonts than expected when displaying them over this data projection.

I've added this file to the testing on this inquiry.

Thanks, Jay