cursor probe not working in nightly

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

cursor probe not working in nightly

Post by kbedka1 »

There are many features I've come to depend on in the nightly build but I notice that the pixel probe feature (i.e. command-left click on the image) is not working in the current nightly. This feature is critical for our work and it would be tremendously helpful if this issue were corrected.
barryr

Re: cursor probe not working in nightly

Post by barryr »

Hi Kris,
Can you please re-try the probing issue? I tried yesterday's nightly (Build-date: 2015-11-19 10:30) on both Windows 7 and OS X (albeit with a Windows keyboard, i.e, it had a Ctrl rather than command key) and it worked for me, whether probing was defined to work with the middle mouse button, and/or with Ctrl + left mouse button.

If it's still not working for you, please post a screenshot of your Navigation Controls' Mouse settings like the one I attached. (You can bring it up with Edit > Preferences > Navigation Controls tab with Mouse tab selected.)

Thanks,
Barry
Attachments
user_prefs_nav_controls.jpg
Last edited by barryr on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

Thanks, when I change the preference to control left click to be cursor read out, I am able to get the read out. But control left click also turns the map sideways. The middle wheel also works but that too zooms the map. The nice thing about command left click is that the command button does not have any other additional functions. How do I enable command->left click to be the cursor readout like how it used to be with the version 1.5 release and previous versions.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

I verified that command+left-click used to probe on OS X in the last stable release (1.5) but does not probe in the current 1.6beta1 nightly. After looking over this a bit, we aren't sure if this is an issue with java 8 or if it is something that the IDV changed. I wrote this bug up as Inquiry 2221 and we have sent it to Unidata to look over since this is now a problem in the IDV as well.

If you are looking for a keyboard/mouse combo to probe the display for the time being, perhaps you can try setting Control+Shift+left-mouse as the probing combo in the User Preferences. You can set all of the other mouse options (Middle, Right, Scroll Wheel) for Control+Shift as None. In doing this, Control+Shift will only probe and won't do any rotation/translation like you are seeing with Control+left-click. This would only work assuming you don't currently rely on other keyboard combos using Control+Shift.
Navigation Controls in the User Preferences
Navigation Controls in the User Preferences

Thanks for reporting this -
Bob Carp