changing wind barb display

Errors and unexpected results
hproe

changing wind barb display

Post by hproe »

Hi -

Recent 1.5beta2 builds show a strange behaviour with ASCAT winds displayed as wind barbs. When setting Width/Height in the View>Properties dialogue, colour and density/size of the wind barbs get changed like in the attached image. The new setup, incorrectly colouring the wind speed, is then carried over to the Full Screen display.

cheers, HP
Attachments
changingBarbs.png
jayh

Re: changing wind barb display

Post by jayh »

Hi HP-

I'm seeing some odd behavior with the ASCAT file I have as well. In my testing I noted better behavior when I unchecked the "Enable Adaptive Resolution" option in the Projections menu on the Display Window. When I disabled AR, the wind barbs did not change color. With AR checked, whenever I'd drag a box or change projections the barb color would change. I'm guessing your changing to Full Screen mimicked the same behavior.

I wrote this up in inquiry 1908 (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/i ... quiry=1908), and will alert the programmers. Thanks for the heads up.

-Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Jay -

With the build of 2015-01-09 10:30, colours are changing also when disabling adaptive resolution, be it going full screen or changing projection in the same window.

HP
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi HP-

I'm not seeing the colors change when I turn off Adaptive Resolution with that nightly. I've tried Win7 64-bit, Linux64, and my mac laptop. Regardless there are issues here, but I would like to put as much information in the inquiry as possible.

What platform are you running on?

Also, I'm testing with an older ASCAT file, could you post one to our ftp.ssec.wisc.edu site in pub/incoming and I can run some tests something more current?

Thanks, Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Jay -

It has become clear. The discrepancy of (not) getting the colour change stems from where AR is unticked. Up to now I unticked AR under Projection in the display window, and this has no effect on zthe wrong behaviour. It occurred to me now that also Preferences offer to en/disable AR. When I disable there the wind display is fine after any reprojection or a full-indow operation.

However, I note that disabling AR in the Preferences does not affect the the AR option found under projection - it remains ticked. Is this the expected behaviour?

I have uploaded a recent ASCAT file: ascat_20141228_084500_metopb_11816_eps_o_coa_2201_ovw.l2.nc. I am running recent McV1.5beta2 builds on to notebooks under windows 7/8.1.

HP