Combine Channeles IR y WV in McIDAS V

How do I...?
glez_b

Combine Channeles IR y WV in McIDAS V

Post by glez_b »

hello again, I have unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu server data: 200408010000.goes10ir,
200408010000.goes10vis, 200408010000.goes10wv. i can combine these channels in McIDAS V and how can do this? for example combining the channel ir and the channel wv going to get a better product.
I can join 200408010000.goes12ir with 200408010000.goes10ir
Boris_MCS
bobc

Re: Combine Channeles IR y WV in McIDAS V

Post by bobc »

Hi Boris -

You can combine together your IR and WV images using McIDAS-V's image filters. Here is a step-by-step process of how to do this.
1. Create separate local ADDE datasets for both of your images, one for IR and one for WV.
2. Individually add your data sources in the Data Sources tab of the Data Explorer via the Satellite->Imagery chooser.
3. In the Field Selector, the left panel is named Data Sources. There is an option in the panel for Formulas, select that.
4. In the Fields panel, expand the 'Image Filters (Beta)' and select 'f(x) Merge Image Filter', select Image Display and click Create Display. You can generally press OK through the 'Select input' window that comes up.
- brkpoint1/2 are the breakpoint values to use for the filter. These are the minimum and maximum values of the two images you are going to select. Default is low/max value respectively. Constant is the operator used for subtraction of the images. BT Min/Max are the min/max brightness values used for your image.
5. In the Field Selector window that comes up, you can select image 1 to be your IR and image 2 to be your WV , and select Raw, Temperature, or Brightness and press OK (or the other way around, WV as image 1 and IR as image 2).
6. The merge filter will be applied to your images, and the output will be seen in the Main Display window. You can change how the display looks in the Layer Controls tab of the Data Explorer.

If you need any more help with this, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
glez_b

Post by glez_b »

Hello, I am interested in making a cloud layer from surface to the vertical, an image as shown in the attachment. My question is: this can be done in McIDAS V and with what kind of data?
Attachments
Capa de nubes.gif
Boris_MCS
tomw

Post by tomw »

You can make such a display with any kind of data...but you must set it up manually. For example:

1. Change the Z-axis scaling in your display to something like 1.6 (View->Properties->Aspect Ratio).

2. Load and display your images. Use the View-> Show -> Clip View at Box to trim off the excess. (You might want to zoom into your image and use Projections-> Use Displayed Area to limit this, before doing the "Clip View at Box".

3. Use each Display Control to position the images vertically (I suggest typing the in the values)

4. Now, select the Map Display Control, and pick the map(s) you want. Then, on the far right of the map listing, click the icon that does the "Load this map as a Data Source".

5. Display this map as many times as you need, and vertically position the maps so they overlay the images.

Something like the attached...
Attachments
stack.jpg
tomw

Post by tomw »

Sorry, it was pointed out that I ignored the "perspective view" in your original post.

In the attached example, I set "View -> View Point -> Set perspective view" and then adjusted the vertical placements accordingly (they are now -1, 0, .6, and 1.0).

I also zoomed in on the region and reset the Projection to use the displayed area....
Attachments
stack2.jpg