IMAGE UNITS

Errors and unexpected results
kaba

IMAGE UNITS

Post by kaba »

A derived product called CAPE has units “J/Kg”, defined in my input netCDF files, it shows up as
“Joules” not “Joules/Kg” in the “Layer control” under “Data explorer”. As shown below.
Also this unit only shows up in the “Data explorer” window not in the “McIDAS Map display”
panel where the image is actually displayed.
Attachments
Issues with UNITS
Issues with UNITS
Last edited by kaba on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barryr

Re: IMAGE UNITS

Post by barryr »

Hi kaba,
Can you supply a sample netCDF file with which you see the problem?
(We would like to try it out since the ones we tried show the correct units of J/kg for CAPE.)

Thanks!
barryr
kaba

Post by kaba »

hello Barryr
I just uploaded a sample netCDF file in the ftp server for you:
"/pub/ssec/kaba"
Please let me know if you need more information about this file.
jessica.braun

Post by jessica.braun »

Hi Kaba,

I was able to reproduce the "Joules" unit. I took a look at the system defaults and the default unit for CAPE is "Joules" instead of "J/kg". This has been written up in inquiry 452.

There is a workaround you can use for right now. You can add a user-defined parameter default. To create this, follow these steps.

1. Select Tools->Parameters->Defaults from the main menu
2. Click on the System defaults tab.
3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and double click on the "cape" parameter.
4. Change "Joules" to "J/kg" in the Units field.
5. Change any other options (if you want to modify the range of the color table, or specify a specific color table).
6. Click OK and the next time you display CAPE, it should be in J/kg. I tried this with the example file you gave and it worked for me.

~Jess
kaba

Post by kaba »

Jess
Thanks for the response.
Thant worked out for me but i was only able to change it to "Joules/kg" not "J/Kg"
but i think that will work just fine.

How about the second part of the question?

"Also this unit only shows up in the “Data explorer” window not in the “McIDAS Map display”
panel where the image is actually displayed."

Do you know of any way to get that solved?
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Kaba,
Where in the "McIDAS Map display" panel would you like it to display the units? In the annotation text at the bottom of the displayed image? Or next to the gray/color table bar in the Legend? Or somewhere else?

If you want it in the annotation text at the bottom of the displayed image, you can change that by right-clicking the blue underlined description text in the Legend then selecting Edit > Properties and changing the value in the "Display Label" field (as well as other fields, like the "Legend Label").

Barry