polygons

Post any questions, ideas, or topics related to Jython and Python scripting.
joleenf

polygons

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have some files which are currently ascii text. However, the files contain polygon information as well as some other factors related to the product being described. Is there any documentation for creating polygons or shapefiles for McIDAS-V that I could follow?

Thanks,
Joleen
jayh

Re: polygons

Post by jayh »

Hi Joleen-

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have sent your question to the programmers, and I am still waiting for some more information. I'll share the couple of comments I've received.

I don't know of documentation, however, I can say that I used shape files from NOAA and they managed to change the format from time to time. Sometimes McV would not handle the shape file and I'd have to go back to NOAA and request the original format. So that tells me, format does matter.

GeoJSON comes immediately to mind. But I'm not sure if McV supports GeoJSON? Here are the specs: http://geojson.org

Maybe this information can point you in the right direction? When I get a chance to ping some more people, I'll post any information here.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Re: polygons

Post by jayh »

Hi Joleen-

I have a few more comments on this.

If it's possible you can convert your ascii files to shapefiles first, then if the formatting is acceptable, -V should be able to read the shapefile.

Regarding GeoJSON, this will only work if netCDF java supports it. Our programmers are unclear if this is possible or not.

I have written Inq. 2344 for evaluation to create a method for reading ascii files to define polygons.

Thanks, Jay