annotate top of Globe view

Post any questions, ideas, or topics related to Jython and Python scripting.
TJS

annotate top of Globe view

Post by TJS »

Hi,

I'm trying to add a title 'above' the globe (globe view). I've used the line and element, but nothing seems to show up. I try:

panel[0].annotate('Simulated', line=45, element=650, color='Yellow', font='Arial Black', size=28.0)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
TJS
jayh

Re: annotate top of Globe view

Post by jayh »

Hi Tim-

The annotate() only works with panel type MAP, it does not work with GLOBE. This development is queued and in inquiry 1516: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1516

Here is the information from the developers:
annotate() method is just a scripting wrapper around the GUI's "Drawing Control" feature ("Display -> Draw Freely"), which does not work on the globe displays. This is a pretty fundamental limitation of the way annotate() is implemented, so the request has been added to our inquiry system and will be prioritized in the near future.

I did notice that if you use lat=, lon= instead of line=, element=, I did get the text to display at the earth coordinates. However, that doesn't help if you are inserting a title or something like that above the globe display.

Thanks, Jay
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Tim -

I just wanted to let you know that we increased the limit for the number of characters for the file name in the layer label. This change is included in the beta2 nightly builds and it has passed testing on all platforms. If you pick up a nightly and run into any problems, please let us know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Does annotate not work on globe view because it is a globe view, or because the view is automatically (with or without clip view at box checked) clipped outside the bounding box? Depending on the answer to that question, this might be linked to the following inquiry.

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1191

This is also a limitation, because if the data can be clipped at the box, and the text such as the layer labels can be drawn over a solid background color, the look is cleaner...

clutter.png

textClipped.png
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

It seems like there are a couple different problems with annotate() in the globe view. As you noted, if your string of text is outside of the wireframe box, then it will not be visible regardless of the clipping option in the display. There are also other problems if you specify a line/element for the text that allows the full string to be contained within the wireframe box. For example, the orientation of the text is flat in the 2D, in a way that it's only readable if you are looking down/up from the North/South Pole.

I added some more specifics to the Request of Inquiry 1516. As mentioned earlier, you see the same problems using the Drawing Control Widget by clicking through the GUI.

Thanks -
Bob