McIDAS-V operational for realtime satallite image display

Post any questions, ideas, or topics related to Jython and Python scripting.
carlospsneto

McIDAS-V operational for realtime satallite image display

Post by carlospsneto »

Hello,
I use McIDAS-V for some time now, but i never really used scripting.
The laboratory where i work want to implement McIDAS-V for operational realtime satallite image display.
Is there anyone here that uses McIDAS-V for this purpose and could dedicate some of your experience to guide me how to do this.
I just would like to see if that is possible and exchange some ideas of what is the better strategy.

My email is carlopsneto@gmail.com

thank you for the attention.
jayh

Re: McIDAS-V operational for realtime satallite image display

Post by jayh »

Hello-

Scripting is probably the best option for you to make some realtime image displays. I would encourage you to go through our Basic Scripting Tutorial on this page: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/softwar ... ation.html This will give you an idea of what can be done as well as some more in-depth sample scripts. If you are familiar with the unix 'cron' command for scheduling scripts to run, you can setup a cron job to invoke a script. For example, that script could simply load the latest 5 image from a server and animate them. Then the script can save images or a movie and you could upload it to a web server.

Also, I wanted to mention the use of bundles and toolbar buttons. Whenever you have a display you like, you can save it as a bundle (don't save the data). If the data sources use relative time (e.g. 5 most recent), then each time you reload the bundle it will load the 5 most recent images. You can create a toolbar button for this bundle. Then when each forecaster or scientist comes to use -V, they can have a session with these preset buttons to do some displays for them.

One other feature of a data source is called polling. With realtime displays and image loops, you can turn on polling to automatically update a loop with the latest data from a server. Once you add data from the Data Sources tab of the Data Explorer, when you are in the Field Selector you can right-click on the Data Source in the left hand column. Choose Properties, and in the Properties window you can check the "Automatically Reload:" checkbox to turn on polling for that data source. If polling is turned on when you create a bundle for a display, then when you reload the bundle the polling will be on and continue the automatic updating.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks, Jay
McIDAS User Services
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

Thank you very much Jay, your guidance helped alot.
I wrote a script that loads the 7 latest images of a directory and repeat the process every 15 minutes. The only problem i have is that I don't know how to start the Animation using only script.
I will try the other sugestions.
Thank you very much again.
mhiley

Post by mhiley »

Hi Carlos,

I just came up with this in the last few minutes so it is not well tested, but you can accomplish controlling the animation with a script using the following code:

Code: Select all

# assuming you've got "panel" defined with something like this:
panel = buildWindow()[0]

# you can start and stop the animation this way:
panel.getAnimation().setAnimating(True)  # start
panel.getAnimation().setAnimating(False)  # stop

# you can also set animation properties like speed:
panel.getAnimationInfo().setFwdSpeed(0.05)
# after setting animation properties you need to "apply" them like this:
panel.getAnimationWidget().applyProperties(panel.getAnimationInfo(), False)

Here's the relevant Javadoc. This should give you what you need to script most animation-related stuff:

Animation class - for starting/stopping, setting current frame, etc:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/id ... ation.html

AnimationInfo class - for setting properties like dwell, direction, etc:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/id ... nInfo.html

Hope that helps!
Mike
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

Thank very much Mike.
That was exactly what i was looking for.

Is there some website or document that i can learn more about fuctions that are not mentioned in the McIDAS-V tutorials? I want to learn more about function and its capabilities, and try to not bother you guys so much.

Thank you so much for your guidance. You guys helped me alot
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Carlos-

The other source of documented -V scripting functions is the User's Guide. You can go to Help -> User's Guide and search for "Scripting" Or you can go on our website here: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... pting.html There are links to the -V functions and methods descriptions, and at the bottom there are links to the javadoc that Mike referenced above.

Thanks, Jay