importing new jython tools when running in a jython shell

Post any questions, ideas, or topics related to Jython and Python scripting.
joleenf

Re: importing new jython tools when running in a jython shell

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jon,

I did not realize I was pointing to the wrong jython version. I was able to use the jython libraries distributed with McIDAS-V by using the following on the command line

Code: Select all

java -mx3000m -Dj3d.debug=true -Dpython.home=/home/user/McIDAS-V/jython2.5.2 -Dpython.security.respectJavaAccessibility=false org.python.util.jython -i mcvinit.py

This must be what I used previously. In this form, I can use the file you provided without any changes.

I wanted to test listADDEImageTimes, so I added that to the list of methods imported from mcvadde.

Thanks,
Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jon,

Currently, I have added the entire file of mcvinit to the beginning of my background scripts. I have not found a way to run the file mcvinit than a script or import mcvinit. Is there a better way to do this? Is there a way to run the import module once and cache the import for latter processes?

Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jon,

With the upgrade to 1.6, what do I need to the import section of mcvinit (I already removed oldADDEImage from the list of mcvadde imports and added loadADDEImage)? Also, right now I insert the content of mcvinit at the beginning of multiple files which run different pieces user code. Is there a way to maintain one mcvinit file and point to that file before running my user code?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/joleenf/McIDAS-V-System/mcvinitTest.py", line 121, in <module>
myList=listADDEImageTimes(server=server, dataset=group, descriptor=desc, day=aDay, time=('00:00','10:00'), band=1, accounting=myAccounting)
File "/home/joleenf/McIDAS-V-System/mcidasv.jar/edu/wisc/ssec/mcidasv/resources/python/mcvadde.py", line 815, in listADDEImageTimes
File "/home/joleenf/McIDAS-V-System/mcidasv.jar/edu/wisc/ssec/mcidasv/resources/python/mcvadde.py", line 815, in listADDEImageTimes
NameError: global name 'ErrorCodeAreaUtils' is not defined

Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Any ideas about how to fix this error?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Joleen,

Sorry for the delayed reply (I was out on Friday and Monday). I'm still working on the error message itself, but you may be able to avoid copy/pasting the mcvinit code now that we're using Jython 2.7. You can try placing your mcvinit.py in '~/.local/lib/jython2.7/site-packages' (you may need to create the directories first) and then from your scripts simply do "import mcvinit".
Jon

Post by Jon »

I should've waited a few minutes! Can you try adding the following line to your mcvinit (I added it right before the "from edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.data.hydra import Statistics" line)?

from edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.util import ErrorCodeAreaUtils
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jon,

I still see the same error after adding the import statement.

Joleen
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Joleen,

I have things in a "works for me" state--hopefully it won't be limited to just me. At any rate, the command line was getting pretty cumbersome, so I added a shell script that can be used to launch things. If you'd like to avoid the additional script, you can always alter the last line of run_mcvinit.sh to something like:

echo "java -Xmx3000 ..."

and then you should be able to run the output of that.

To get things working with the script, you'll want to "chmod +x run_mcvinit.sh" and then change run_mcvinit.sh's "MCV_DIR" and "MCV_INIT" variable are pointing to the correct locations. Similarly, make sure mcvinit.py's "_mcv_classpath_to_syspath" call is pointing to the same location as "MCV_DIR". Also, mcvinit.py has been updated, so be sure to use the copy in the attached zip file.

I apologize for how convoluted this process is becoming--I'll work on making this less tedious/fragile.

Jon
Attachments
mcvinit.zip
Launcher script and new mcvinit.py.
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jon,

Reviewing what we have done, questions will be in bold:

1.) I have taken the code from mcvinit.py, renamed it to usercustomize.py and placed it in my ~/.local/lib/jython2.7/site-packages directory.

2.) I have placed my code that I wish to run in cron in that directory (~/.local/lib/jython2.7/site-packages) as well. For now, I am calling it comparisonStats.py.

3.) At one point, we added "import usercustomize" to the beginning of that code, but have since removed it. So I am not sure that the comparisonStats.py code ever gets any information from usercustomize (mcvinit). Am I using usercustomize?

4.) At the end of the comparisonStats.py code, I have added a main() module, in this module. mcvadde is imported. I have changed the "import mcvadde" line to "from mcvadde import *" I did this so that I could use the mcvadde modules as I would call them in the jython shell (listADDEImageTimes() versus mcvadde.listADDEImageTimes()). Maybe I should just import the specific modules I need: from mcvadde import listADDEImageTimes, loadADDEImage.

if __name__ == '__main__':
from mcvadde import *
from reverse_enum import reverse_enum
from visad.python.JPythonMethods import *
import makeDateDir, splitSearch
print dir()
getImageSets()

exit()

Also, I can't find the sub() function, do you know where that is?

Thanks,
Joleen
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Joleen,

usercustomize.py:
~/.local/lib/jython2.7/site-packages/usercustomize.py should always be implicitly loaded by Jython (assuming the file exists). It does look like "runMcV -pyfile/-script file.py" (incorrectly) ignores usercustomize.py, but usercustomize.py should be getting loaded if you're not launching an actual McV session. I'll get the bug fixed ASAP.

sub:
sub(...) is defined in the IDV's griddiag.py:

https://github.com/Unidata/IDV/blob/mas ... py#L55-L62

It's just a wrapper around GridMath.subtract(...):

https://github.com/Unidata/IDV/blob/mas ... #L162-L177

GridMath.subtract() itself is just a wrapper around GridMath.doMath():

https://github.com/Unidata/IDV/blob/mas ... #L292-L351

imports:
So-called "wild card" imports do work fine, but their use is discouraged (see the last bullet in this link).

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Jon