How do you display CloudSat Geoprof data?

Useful hints
Rick

How do you display CloudSat Geoprof data?

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris:
I have a quick technical question for you: For teaching I am trying to use McIdas-V. I am trying to read in CloudSat Geoprof but it does not seem to work... Trying to get help on the internet, I ran into some of your presentations that seemed promising.... Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks much!
Ralf

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ralf Bennartz
Associate Professor
Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
1225 W. Dayton St.
Madison, WI 53706
Phone ++1-608-265-2249
Fax ++1-608-262-0166
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rick

Re: How do you display CloudSat Geoprof data?

Post by Rick »

From Kris Bedka:

In the "Data Explorer" window (i.e. the one without the map), choose data sources at the top of the window. Along the left side of the window, go to General->Files/Directories At the top of the window, choose Hydra Data Source for Data Type, then select your 2B-GEOPROF file and click Add Source in the lower right of the window.

Then your window should have switched over to the Field Explorer where you can expand the ProfileAlongTrack in the middle column and then select your CloudSat field. Choose ProfileAlongTrack Display on the right. Shift-left click on the portion of the orbit you want in the lower right and ensure that the two stride values are set to 1 (a value of 2 skips every other point, 3 skips every 2 points, etc...). Click Create Display in the bottom middle and you should be good to go. You will be started with a view from the top, you have to turn the domain on its side to see the data. :->

Let me know if this works for you, I have cc'ed the McIDAS Help Desk to see if they have any additional info and to notify them that this process may be unclear to a new user.

Kris