What is the best way to load local McIDAS AREA files?

Useful hints
jessica.braun

What is the best way to load local McIDAS AREA files?

Post by jessica.braun »

Q: What is the best way to load local McIDAS AREA files?

A: Use the Local ADDE servers. Loading local AREA files through the File/Directories chooser does not allow you to choose channel/data type information or display only a portion of the file. By creating a local ADDE dataset, you will have these options.

To create a local ADDE dataset, follow these steps:

1. Go to Tools->Local ADDE Data from the main menu.
2. Click on File->New Dataset.
3. Enter in a Dataset name, as well as a description for the Image Type. These two values will be listed in the Dataset and Image Type pull down menus in the Satellite->Imagery chooser.
4. Select McIDAS AREA as your format.
5. Select a directory.

For more information, see the Local ADDE Data Manager help page at http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... nager.html

Once you have saved your local ADDE dataset, return to the Satellite->Imagery chooser in the Data Explorer. Select <LOCAL-DATA> from the Server pull down menu. Select the dataset, click Connect, and treat this server just like you would if you were using remote ADDE data.
kamil

Re: What is the best way to load local McIDAS AREA files?

Post by kamil »

Hi..After following all those above steps.
This is error that i get after click on the connect button.

Could not connect to dataset "KAMIL" on server "localhost:8112".
Dataset may require ADDE accounting information.

Thanks..need your help to figure out what is my problem.
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hello-

I just wanted to update the forum that this problem has been resolved. It appears to be a computer problem on the user's end.

However, in trouble-shooting this, I did notice I could replicate the error when the mcservl process was not running. This can be diagnosed in the Local Data tab of the ADDE Data Manager. The lower left corner has a status message about the local server. If it's not running, you can try to restart it with the restart button, or quit and start a new McIDAS-V session.

Thanks, Jay
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I encountered this same problem when running on a Unix system