How can you change the description for Image Type

Useful hints
Rick

How can you change the description for Image Type

Post by Rick »

For ADDE servers, the value for Image Type is taken from the comment field for a dataset found in the McIDAS-X file RESOLV.SRV. The system administrator for the ADDE server can update this comment name using the McIDAS-X command DSSERVE. Here is an example line from RESOLV.SRV

N1=MSG,N2=FD,TYPE=IMAGE,RT=N,K=MSGT,R1=1,R2=999999,MASK=/data/msg/H-000-MSG*PRO*,C=MET-9(MSG) 3-km HRIT FULL DISK IMAGER DATA CHANNEL,

You can see that C= is what shows up in the Image Type files for McV. If the comment field is not present, the value for N2 is duplicated.
tsavos

Re: How can you change the description for Image Type

Post by tsavos »

Rick,

Yes, this has been an issue with some of the data on our ESPC servers. We are so used to using the GROUP/DESCRIPTOR in McIDAS-X that we've been terrible at updating the comment fields for the datasets.

If you have access to DPD on SATEPSDIST1e.nesdis.noaa.gov, you can see that the fourteen derived sounder products from the operational SFOV have all the same descriptor "SOUNDING SFV AREA FILES". I can't display them in Mc-V. We are working on updating this metadata for all of our SATEPSDISTxx servers to better describe the datasets.

However, is there a way in McIDAS-V to access the data using only the GROUP/DESCRIPTOR (without the bridge) so I can get the files?

-Brian
ESPC
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Brian,

McV can read area files both locally and by requesting data via ADDE to a workstation running the McIDAS-X remote server. I don't have access to SATEPSDIST1e.nesdis.noaa.gov. Few questions:

1) Is this workstation setup as a remote ADDE server (my guess is yes).
2) If so, are there restrictions to access the data - McX accounting or firewall protected?
3) Does your McV session give any errors trying to access the data?
4) If you think there is a problem with the AREA files, please post some examples to our anonymous ftp site:
ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
login anonymous
password e-mail
cd pub/incoming

Rick
tsavos

Post by tsavos »

Hi Rick,

I lost the "bubble" on this post and didn't see that you had questions for me. The server is remote and can be accessed using both McIDAS-V and McIDAS-X. The issue that I have is the DSSERVE on the server is set up so that each dataset is unique in the descriptor, but the way it was set up, someone did not change the comment (they copied and pasted the same comment for each descriptor. I've attached what the listing looks like in both McX and McV. In McV, only one of the datasets is listed.

-Brian
ESPC

The list in McX:
McX-list.jpg

The list in McV:
McV-list.jpg
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Brian,

This has been written up as an inquiry.

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=403

There is no target date to get it fixed, so I would encourage you to have your administrators update the comments section.
tsavos

Post by tsavos »

Rick,

Thanks!

And yes, I have a work request into the ESPC programmers to review and update comments for all of our McIDAS products served via ADDE. I have a spreadsheet where the work is already done, but I don't know if the programmer has to update line by line or if it can be batched or automated in some fashion. We are under a system freeze until April 2011 anyway.

-Brian
ESPC