Data Probe/Musical Imagery

Useful hints
joleenf

Data Probe/Musical Imagery

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have a few questions about the Data Probe. The data probe is very useful for replicating Alt-D or IMGPROBE functionality that McIDAS-X users often use. I have a few questions. First, to load this satellite area data from the Field Selector, select the data for the main display and use 'Imagery Display.'

Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 10.21.02 AM.png

After that, select the same data and chose 'Data Probe/Time Series' as the display choice.

Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 10.24.19 AM.png

From the Layer Controls of the Data Probe, right click in the data box and select add parameter, this allows the option to select multiple parameters to be added to the display.

Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 10.28.22 AM.png

I have a few questions about the results. What is the meaning of the min/max/avg? I don't believe I have zero in the location of the pixel, yet that is the min. The max seems to be what is returned for the value at the probe. What size box is this? Is this a single pixel? If it is a single pixel, and nearest neighbor is used, why is there a min/max/avg?

Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 10.13.02 AM.png

I believe this has been mentioned before on the forums, it would be nice to be able to expand the box of the data readout. I like that the results of the image probe are now available when the middle mouse button is pressed in the main display. It would also be nice to be able to save the data readout to a csv file.

Finally, is the sound related to the value of the probe?

Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 10.33.43 AM.png

Thanks,
Joleen
joleenf

Re: Data Probe/Musical Imagery

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I am answering my own questions.

1.) It seems that the music level is related the value of the data probe point.
2.) The min/max average is related to the min/max and average of the all the pixels in the time series at that single point. I believe that is a single image pixel
3.) The 0 values were due to the fact that the most recent image had not be completed scanning
4.) This is in the user's guide, I completely missed the option. To save as a csv: user File>Save>Export All Times to CSV. The only time this has failed was when I had loaded a netCDF file without a timestamp. While the image probe worked, I could not save it as a csv.

Joleen
joleenf

Re: Data Probe/Musical Imagery

Post by joleenf »

I was recently speaking with someone representing many McIDAS-X users. He mentioned that they used PC-E lat/lon frequently to place their cursor and interrogate the satellite image. Attached is an image of the Data Probe layer controls with the text box where the lat/lon is entered circled. This is where the user now enters the lat/lon location to place the probe on a certain location in the image and get information about the image. Note: I made the probe large so that it could be seen in the image, normally, it is much smaller by default. In addition the min/max/avg readout indicates the min/max/average of the pixels in the time series for that location.

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 6.04.28 AM.png