Conert values ??of bright to units of brightness temperature

Useful hints
glez_b

Conert values ??of bright to units of brightness temperature

Post by glez_b »

Hi , I have a question regarding an image processed in McIDAS V, I hope you can help.
I displayed an image with infrared channel data and it put the colored bar represents the values ??of bright (so I chose during the deployment of the image). My question is there any way (method) to convert these values ??of bright (as in the attachment:27abrl15)) to units of brightness temperature.

I would like my final product came out with the same image quality of the attachment but with the temperature units
Attachments
27abr15g.jpg
Boris_MCS
barryr

Re: Conert values ??of bright to units of brightness temperature

Post by barryr »

Hi Boris,
The units of the Color Scale are what you chose when you display the image. For example, if you display the GW-12 - GOES-West 12.0 um long IR imagery in the RTIMAGES dataset on server adde.ucar.edu you can display it as Raw, Temperature or Brightness via the Field Selector. If you choose Temperature and then apply a Color Scale its units will be in degrees K; if you choose Brightness then apply a Color Scale its units be in brightness values (0-255), etc.

I note that your example is displayed as a Color-Shaded Plan View. So it could be a netCDF image that contains only a single unit and thus you wouldn't have any other options for a unit in which to display the image and the Color Scale.

Barry
glez_b

Convert values ??of bright to units of brightness temperatur

Post by glez_b »

Hi , I've done that you indicate in the message and get an output with a brightness temperature values as image2 (see attached file). The detail is that the image2 is too distorted and complicated for identify most active regions of convection. How I can do to get the quality of the image1 but whith their corrrespondientes brightness temperature values?
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg
Boris_MCS
Rick

Post by Rick »

High Boris,

When you use brightness values darker regions are warmer and lighter are colder. When you display temperature, darker regions are colder and lighter regions warmer. Try changing the range so it goes from 330 to 163.

Rick
glez_b

Post by glez_b »

Hello I have a case where an image has been deployed using data from bright (0-255) and I selected a shade to tell me the regions of CAPE (Convective Avainable Potential Energy) like in attached. My question is: how I can adjust these brightness values ??to actual values ??of CAPE.

If there is any formula, anyone can guide me to convert the brightness values ??to units of CAPE?
Attachments
ima3.jpg
Boris_MCS