METEOSAT CTT cursor readout of temperature

Useful hints
weatherextreme

METEOSAT CTT cursor readout of temperature

Post by weatherextreme »

Hi,
I am looking at Meteosat data and am trying to find where I can click or hover over the 10.8micron IR image to read individual CTT's for a pixel. When I hover I get lat, lon and altitude (whatever this is) but no CTT. When I middle click I get the cross hairs and get the lan lon only. How can I view the temperature value of an individual pixel.

Thank you,
Elizabeth Austin
jayh

Re: METEOSAT CTT cursor readout of temperature

Post by jayh »

Hi Elizabeth-

In the Field Selector, when you click the arrow to display a variable, I'm assuming you are displaying "Brightness" counts (Brightness, Radiance, Raw, Temperature are the options). When the probe is used, with a middle click, the lat/lon/brit values are displayed of the individual pixels. To get the Temperature counts with the probe, choose "Temperature" in the Fields tab of the Field Selector and the temperature pixels will be loaded with a default stretch of temperature values to a grayscale.

If that doesn't help, please let me know what your source of Meteosat data is and the options you are using to display the data and we can investigate further.

Thanks, Jay
weatherextreme

Post by weatherextreme »

Hi Jay, Thanks, yes we are doing it the way you suggest and we only see lat/lon when we click the middle mouse button. No temperature even though this is the field we have chosen.

It will not let me upload the file as it says that the extension ir108 is not allowed So here is a link to it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x230o708b3vmz ... IR108?dl=0

Thanks very much!
Elizabeth
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Elizabeth-

I tested your file. Since it is a McIDAS AREA file, there are a few ways you can display it. From the General Files chooser, selecting the file, and displaying the image. This cursor readout gives me the lat/lon and RAW pixel value. Also, I setup the file in it's own directory and accessed it as a local ADDE dataset through the Manage ADDE Datasets tool. This gave me the option to display Brightness, Radiance, Raw, or Temperature pixel values. I selected Temperature and get the lat/lon/temp displayed when probing the image with the middle mouse click.

So, I have a few questions... Are you using the Local ADDE dataset method or the General Files chooser method? Also, what platform are you running on, and what version of McIDAS-V are you using?

If you are using Windows, I noted a user with a similar problem on Windows 7 in this forum thread. Is this similar to what you are seeing and if you are on Windows 7, does the work around help? (A colleague also mentioned this can happen on MacOS laptops as well.)

Also, if you are using a laptop trackpad to probe, there is a known problem on Windows and MacOS laptops in this thread. If this is your problem, does the work around help?

Thanks, Jay
weatherextreme

Post by weatherextreme »

Hi Jay,

OK I was able to get it working on my Mac but we were never able to get the Windows McIDAS-V to work. Strange. But at least I was able tot get it to work. I am using McIDAS-V version 1.8 on my Mac and yes I used the ADDE dataset method and finally it worked.

Thanks so much,
Elizabeth
brennda

Post by brennda »

I had the same issue..it is so good that I found this forum, thanks 8-)