Issue with visibility animation and capturing movie

Errors and unexpected results
wstraka

Issue with visibility animation and capturing movie

Post by wstraka »

So, I tried capturing a movie of a visibility animation I had in Mc-V and I kept getting the following error:

ERROR: Error loading image
Could not load resource:/home/wstraka/McIDAS-V/tmp/images_1315327114277/image_0_%time%..jpg error:java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/wstraka/McIDAS-V/tmp/images_1315327114277/image_0_%25time%25..jpg (No such file or directory)
java.io.IOException: Could not load resource:/home/wstraka/McIDAS-V/tmp/images_1315327114277/image_0_%time%..jpg error:java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/wstraka/McIDAS-V/tmp/images_1315327114277/image_0_%25time%25..jpg (No such file or directory)

Obviously /home/wstraka/McIDAS-V/tmp/images_1315327114277/ exists, but the problem is that it is trying to save a file in the form of

image_%count%_%time%..jpg

I managed to hack around this by specifying a location to save and saving the image with the format: image_%count%_..jpg

Is there a way to default to the format image_%count%_..jpg when doing visibility animations or am I going to have to hack this every time?

BTW, this is with v1.01

William
Last edited by wstraka on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayh

Re: Issue with visibility animation and capturing movie

Post by jayh »

Hi William-

I'm working on recreating your error but haven't been able to yet, so I have a few questions.

What platform are you on?
When capturing the animation are you just clicking the "Automatically" button, then clicking "Stop" when you are finished?
Are you using any other options in the Movie Capture window that I can turn on/off?
What action (button press, etc.) causes your error?

Thanks, Jay
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

Jay

What platform are you on? RHEL6, 64-bit Linux

When capturing the animation are you just clicking the "Automatically" button, then clicking "Stop" when you are finished? YES. Settings of 1 and 2 seconds were tried. High quality.

Are you using any other options in the Movie Capture window that I can turn on/off? NO

What action (button press, etc.) causes your error? I press the "Automatically" button. Then (after I have what I want), I get to the window and press "STOP". I then click "Preview" and get that error. Also, the error appears in the command window.

If you want, I can show you if you come to 425, if you want.
tomw

Post by tomw »

My observation:

What this looks like is that the default "form" for saving the files contains "templates" for count and time (%count% and %time%, respectively). From filename listed in the error message, the "%count%" is being properly handled, but the "%time%" is not -- perhaps there is no "time" associated with the image(s)?

If that is the case, then no substitution is possible, and the string "%time%" would be left in the filename -- and I cannot imagine that the % symbol is valid...

This is also consistent with William changing the template to exclude the %time%, and then it functions normally.
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

%timestamp% worked for me, but the filename was not desirable (spaces were in it). %time% did not work for the visibility animation. %time% has worked previously for regular movie captures.

Joleen
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

So Jay came down and I showed him what the situation is and we think that, for whatever reason, there is no value in %time% or %timestamp% (as some "intermediate" files that I want to compare do not have that attribute properly put in, and the HDF files don't have it in there either), so the default file name, image_%count%_%time%.jpg doesn't work, and TomW mentioned. So, I guess the work around for now is to check "Save Files" and specify a name that simply is: image_%count%.jpg, so it will increment the files correctly and thus, make a movie.
jayh

Post by jayh »

There are a few inquiries relating to bugs and improvements with the movie capture process. I've written a new inquiry for evaluation of this problem which may be incorporated into some other fixes in the future. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1137

Thanks, Jay
tomw

Post by tomw »

William -- I am talking with the developers about this....
Last edited by tomw on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayh

Post by jayh »

He is using Linux 64-bit....
tomw

Post by tomw »

Thanks, Jay -- I just noted that -- I gotta make my window bigger...or not scroll so fast!