McIDAS-V Support Forums

Support and discussion of the McIDAS-V software package
Forum HomeMcIDAS-V Home
It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 02:08

All times are UTC

Post subject: Failure while trying to launch McIDAS-V
PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 15:14 

Hi everybody,

I have a problem while trying to launch McIDAS-V on Windows XP 32 bits platform. The software seems to load and initialize correctly, i.e. the loading window is launched and seems to load and initialize something, but as soon as the McIDAS windows open, they automatically close without any error message.
Does anybody have experienced the same problem as me ? I yes, could you please explain me which solution you have found to solve the problem ?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Post subject: Re: Failure while trying to launch McIDAS-V
PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 16:57 

Hello.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with McIDAS-V. We had a user with a similar problem not too long ago and it ended up being graphics card/driver related. The first thing we should check is that you are able to download and view this Java3D spinning cube, located at: http://download.java.net/media/java3d/w ... verse.jnlp

Please let us know if you can view this or not, and we will continue from there.

Thanks, Bob
McIDAS User Services

PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 08:56 

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your rapid answer. Unfortunately, I did not succeed to view this spinning cube.
Do you think it could come from my graphic card ?

Thank you in advance for your help

PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 17:24 

Hello,

We have a list of steps to follow if McIDAS-V is not working on your computer in the FAQ section of the User's Guide. Please see the link below:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... asicchecks

You have completed step 2, so now you should go back to step 1, which includes a link to the System Requirements page. This page includes information about graphics cards and Java versions that work with McIDAS-V.

What we recommend now is to update your drivers and try running McIDAS-V again. Your current graphics card/drivers are not supporting Java3D, which needs to be supported for McIDAS-V to run.

If this does not help, could you let us know more information about your computer? It would be helpful to know what type of computer you have, if it is a laptop or desktop, and the brand and driver information of your graphics card. You can find out how to check this information at the following link:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/softwar ... html#video

Thanks,
Bob