display Modis Cloud Mask hdf files

Errors and unexpected results
bartok

display Modis Cloud Mask hdf files

Post by bartok »

Hi,

I`d like to display Modis Cloud Mask hdf files with McIDAS-V from local data folder. Using HYDRA in Data Explorel all times gives the visad.VisADException error message. I have Microsoft WindowsXP Professional System. Does somebody know what this error means? Or if are other ways to display MODIS hdf files in McIDAS-V. Thanks.
jayh

Re: display Modis Cloud Mask hdf files

Post by jayh »

Hello-

HYDRA does not accept all image filetypes at this time. I see the same error when I try to load our MODIS cloud mask test data in HYDRA.

You can display and manipulate the data through the Satellite -> Imagery data chooser. You will need to set up a local dataset to access the MODIS cloud mask files. You can find this information on this page in the -V User's Guide - http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... nager.html

One note is that this will work best if you have your cloud mask files in their own directory when setting up the local dataset entry.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks, Jay
bartok

Post by bartok »

Hi,

Thank you for the answer, the Local Data adding works. But unfortunately i have an other problem. I`ve managed to import the hdf file, the data explorer shows the hierarchical files, but when I try to display for example the 250 m cloud mask bit mask the java.lang.NullPointerException error appears. Do you have any idea, what could this error mean?
Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hello,

Could you please post your MODIS file to our anonymous ftp location:

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
user: anonymous
password: e-mail address
cd pub
cd incoming
bin
put (your file name)

Let us know when you have uploaded to file and the file name.

Rick
bartok

Post by bartok »

Hello,

I put a hdf file labeled Bartok_Modis_CloudMask.hdf to the ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/. I also put the same file with the original file name MOD35_L2.A2010152.0915.005.2010155042755.hdf downloded directly from the Modis Cloud Mask webpage http://ladsweb.nascom.nasa.gov/data/search.html.
Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hello,

The file Bartok_Modis_CloudMask.hdf will not work as the local MODIS servers require a specific file naming convention.
It took a very long time, but I was able to display (at a reduced resolution) most of the 250m cloud mask (bit mask) from the file MOD35_L2.A2010152.0915.005.2010155042755.hdf.

Please append a copy of your mcidasv.log file, there may be some useful information at the time of the null pointer exception. Since you are running XP, the mcidasv.log file should be in your Documents and Settings/McIDAS-V directory. Also, there should be a details button when the null pointer exception wind appears. Could you please cut and past this into your next forum post.

Thanks

Rick