AVHRR artifacts

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

AVHRR artifacts

Post by kbedka1 »

I am displaying some AVHRR Level 1B swaths via ADDE and see some wierd artifacts. See attached image, there are these strange bars that stretch across the domain. To ensure that this is not a bad file, I used an NCDC tool to take the AVHRR Level 1B and converted it to NetCDF. See second attached image, no wierd bars and the swath seems to be a little wider. Is there an explanation for this? Note that this also is a problem in a globe view.
Attachments
good.jpg
bug2.jpg
Rick

Re: AVHRR artifacts

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris,

I'm able to re-produce the problem but only on a map view. I'll write up an inquiry. Just a note, neither of your 2 examples look very good. The one named 'good.jpg' looks like it has problems near the south pole.

Rick
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

The South Pole looks bad because the image is being displayed on a flat map instead of a globe, the swath crosses the pole and comes up the other side of the world. I think that it's tough to make an image appear coherent in a situation like this.
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I reproduced it using your file on a globe view, see attached. Granted, if I used a opaque globe, I probably would not be able to see this, but this points to some issue that Mc-V is picking up on with this data.
Attachments
bug1.jpg
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris,

I tried a couple of other tests using McIDAS-X and McIDAS-V. This time I used our real-time POES servers. McIDAS-X looks fine, McIDAS-V still shows the problem. I also tried McIDAS-X using a level-1b file and got good results. The mcidas-x-lev1b.gif image is a different time and date from the other 2 images.
Attachments
mcidas-x-lev1b.gif
mcidas-x.gif
mcidas-v.gif