McIDAS-V FREEZING COMPUTER "memory related"

Errors and unexpected results
kaba

McIDAS-V FREEZING COMPUTER "memory related"

Post by kaba »

Now that we are in version 1.0, I would suggest finding a way around this problem.

Issue: When ever I load a file or files and McIDAS-V reaches near peak of the memory allocated to it, (6GB in my case)
it freezes the entire computer. Once this happens the only way to exit is to power off the entire computer and reboot. There by loosing any other unsaved work.
It would be great to have a way to gracefully exit McIDAS-V when this happens and not risk the chance of loosing any other programs/docs that might have been running.

Granted I am working with big files (Simulated ABI data) I am also running on a 64 mac, with 8GB of RAM with McIDAS-V allocated 6GM (~80%).
This morning I have already reboot twice and yesterday i did three times. Once it freezes, "Ctrl, Alt, Del" won't work, can't access any terminal to kill it,
and can't access "Active monitor" in Mac to "Force Kill".
davep

Re: McIDAS-V FREEZING COMPUTER "memory related"

Post by davep »

Hi Kaba,

You should not have to reboot when you run out of memory in McIDAS-V. When this happens on my Mac McIDAS-V may become unresponsive, but it is always possible to stop the process by Force Quitting it (hold down the "Option" key and Ctrl+click on the McIDAS-V icon in the Dock). "Ctrl + Alt + Del" is not a valid key combination in OS X, the equivalent is "Option + Command + Esc" which brings up a "Force Quit" dialog box with a list of running programs. If you can easily reproduce the issue by loading the same data, I'd like to take a look at it next time it happens.
kaba

Post by kaba »

I can easily re produce this if you have some time to stop by at rm#243. I am still working on it and just had to restart.
The "control, alt, delete" i tired on the linux box not the Mac and it was just the same.
kaba

Post by kaba »

I have loaded my sample script (conus-bands.py) and a set of data for one band (i.e band02)
for testing.
here is the link to the data and script in the ftp server:
ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/ABI/kaba/mcv/

you do not need the .mcv files in this folder( those are (older dataset)

please let me know if you have any questions.

kaba
davep

Post by davep »

I stopped down to talk to Kaba earlier today. Two items of note:

1) Kaba is using a bundle to load 12 NetCDF files and create 12 image files within a loop. Part of the problem is that the datasources are not being cleared after each iteration, so the end result is that all of the previous data is still in memory when only the most recent needs to be. I don't know if there is a simple DataSource.destroy or equivalent jython function, but that would be very helpful in this case.

2) The machine (OS X in this case) is hanging with what appears to be a Java3D/display error when the heap runs out. Kaba has 8gb on his machine and set the heap size to 80% (~6.5gb); on the 9th or 10th iteration of the loop the memory usage was approaching the limit. I tried to Force Quit McIDAS-V, but the machine was completely unresponsive and the cursor changed to the spinning beach ball (of death). That last thing we could do was enter Expose, and when the windows moved to the edge of the screen there was artifacting that was not part of any window image. The only solution at this point was to power cycle.