maps and google earth

Errors and unexpected results
joleenf

maps and google earth

Post by joleenf »

In recent days, I have seen problems with google earth images produced from my script. Here is what I have found:

If I use a lat/lon projection in the McIDAS-V interactive display, my map and image are fine in the kmz file: see brazil_McV.kmz

If I use that same projection from a script, the map is not aligned in google earth, but the projection and map are aligned: see test_brazil.kmz

Using a projection in a script that is packaged with McV such as the South America projection, center and zoom 1.0, the map is aligned, but the image is pixelized: see test_southamerica.kmz

Use that same projection with a center and zoom of 2.0, map is aligned, pixelization seems fixed: see test_southamerica2.0.kmz

Use that same projection with a center and zoom of 2.0 and a matte background...don't do it! It seems that the matte background shifts the entire image down without providing an adjustment for lat/lon corner in google earth: see test_southamerica2.0_matte.kmz

Finally, in the script, the Brazil projection with a center and zoom of 1.0 and no matte background still has the poor alignment of image to the google earth map: see test_brazil.kmz

All of these projections should be lat/lon projections.

All files are on the ftp server at

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/ABI/joleenf/google_earth/

Why would I prefer to use the colorbar overlay versus the kmlcolorbar? The colobar is "glued" to the image and the user has no choice but to see it.

Thanks for helping with this!
Joleen
joleenf

Re: maps and google earth

Post by joleenf »

I tried changing the image which was used to better show the coastline. I also tried changing the image size and center latlon. This seems to have caused the LatLonBox in the kml file to be defined as

<LatLonBox>
<north>NaN</north>
<south>NaN</south>
<east>NaN</east>
<west>NaN</west>
</LatLonBox>

I changed the latlon center and the size back to what I orginally had and I am still getting this error. I have data because I can create a nice gif file.

I am not sure what is happening other than I am really having troubles with consistency in creating the kmz files.

Thanks,
Joleen