Satellite Image "Edge" Problem

Errors and unexpected results
tsavos

Satellite Image "Edge" Problem

Post by tsavos »

I was trying to re-create an image from the CIMSS Satellite Blog using McIDAS-V:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp ... s_anim.gif

When I tried to display the edge of the "full disk", instead of smoothing at the ends that McIDAS-X does, it appears that McIDAS-V does some kind of "stepping". I've attached an example from the MTSAT visible image on 3/26 at 17:30Z (trying to re-create Scott's image as seen on the CIMSS blog) and tried it with a GOES-12 visible Full Disk from 3/27 (both attached). I'm using display magnification of 1 by 1 for both.

-Brian
ESPC
Attachments
G12-edge.jpg
MTS-edge.jpg
barryr

Re: Satellite Image "Edge" Problem

Post by barryr »

Hi tsavos,
Thanks for the report and the attachments showing the problem (yuck!). I did some checking and was told that it currently works this way because of a navigation limitation, and it is in the list of items being worked on. I'll dig a little more to see if I can get any details or workaround suggestions. I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

Thanks,
barryr
barryr

Re: Satellite Image "Edge" Problem

Post by barryr »

tsavos,
Just a followup to let you know that I did more checking and confirmed that, unfortunately, there's no workaround at this point. But fixing it is indeed on the list of things to address.

Barry