AREA files won't import - "Domain must be only spatial"

Errors and unexpected results
tim_v

AREA files won't import - "Domain must be only spatial"

Post by tim_v »

I am getting an error with numerous SMS-1 and GOES-1 satellite images from the late 1970s as obtained from NOAA archives. McIDAS-V does not display any image data and just says "Domain must be only spatial" on the main map.

The steps I used to try to import this image are:
1. Open Data Explorer.
2. Data Sources > General > Files/Directories > (selected this file) > Add Source.
3. (Unable to figure out how to read the data). Selected McIDAS Area Files.
4. McIDAS-V puts me in Data Explorer > Field Selector. I press Create Display.
5. On the map display I see the correct satellite image time shown in the lower right, but no imagery and a message saying "Domain must be only spatial" in the lower left.

Attached is a sample problematic file that has this trouble. Based on an import of the file into other software and viewing the 99% deflation I don't think it has any actual data, but it does generate the problem. I am unable to upload a VIS file with actual content as the forum doesn't allow 4 MB attachments.

Tim
Attachments
goesdatair.zip
goes01.1979.215.0600.AREA_IR
(3.95 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
jayh

Re: AREA files won't import - "Domain must be only spatial"

Post by jayh »

Hi Tim-

I see this error often with POES imagery data and it's due to the default nav of the file not coded into McV. However, you may be able to display the area file with a lat/lon navigation.

If you are using the beta1 version (I don't remember if this was in the alpha versions, it probably was), you can set up the Local ADDE Manager to point to your area file. Click on Tools -> Local ADDE Data and you can set up a dataset that points to your area files. Note: File masking doesn't work at the moment when you choose a directory, so you should just put similar area files into one directory and point to that.

Once you have the dataset set up... you can go back to the Data Sources tab in the Data Explorer, choose LOCAL-DATA for the "Server:" field and your Dataset name should be available to choose. At the bottom of this chooser is the Navigation Type: field. Choose Lat/Lon instead of default and see if you can display the data with that. For example, I had a NOAA-17 gac area file that gave the spatial error with the default Navigation Type, but displayed just fine with the Lat/Lon type chosen. See if that works for you, otherwise I can do some more testing.

Thanks, Jay
tim_v

Re: AREA files won't import - "Domain must be only spatial"

Post by tim_v »

Thanks very much -- that points me in the right direction.

Tim