Satellite image rendering issues at 180E/W lon in Mercator

Errors and unexpected results
AdamM

Satellite image rendering issues at 180E/W lon in Mercator

Post by AdamM »

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting locally-saved MTSAT imagery to render properly at +/- 180 degrees Longitude, but only for specific projections. The standard "Australia" lat-lon projection renders fine, but when I try and create my own domain in mercator projection, I have these "disconnect" issues at 180E/W. Is this a bug?

To make matters more interesting, I have used this imagery in the past, with McIdas-V, in mercator projection without problem. This is an issue that seems to just arise spontaneously for no apparent reason.

Any ideas??

Much appreciated,
Adam
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
jayh

Re: Satellite image rendering issues at 180E/W lon in Mercator

Post by jayh »

Hi Adam-

We do have some dateline issues that are being address for our version 1.0 release (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=321)

For a workaround, you can try using fast rendering to display the imagery. After you load the image, from the Layer Controls tab, you can click on Edit -> Properties and click on the "Use Fast Rendering" box and apply it. This hopefully will fix the problem with your data.

Also, we were wondering what version of McIDAS-V you were using when you didn't have this issue? This might aid in our development.

Thanks, Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Having had to install a new system I have stumbled again on the display gap along the 0/180 longitude. As hinted earlier on in this thread the gap does not appear when opting for fast rendering. It might be useful to have this feature mentioned in Help where "fast rendering" is addressed (Preferences/General and Layer Controls at least).
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi HP-

Thanks for this suggestion. We have put it on our documentation list.

Thanks, Jay