Too slow on my PC

Errors and unexpected results
TJS

Too slow on my PC

Post by TJS »

I understand we are still at beta, but on my pc (3 GB of RAM, about 1.5 years old with a 2.4 Ghz), mcidas-v is very slow (3-5 seconds to switch tabs). I think it’s more than the ram, tho, since this is even the case before I load much (any) data. (All said, I am running several other applications on the PC.) When I start mcv, the CPU usage goes to 100%, even without loading any data. After getting out of mcv, the task manager for the CPU goes back to the more normal 1%.

Thanks.
Rick

Re: Too slow on my PC

Post by Rick »

Hi Tim,

If you look at the process list from the task manager, which process is hogging the CPU cycles? Other things to look at, what processes are using lots of memory? If your browser has been up for a significant about of time and it is running java applications, it may be affecting the performance of McV. Most people hate this answer (myself included) but I'm going to recommend restarting your computer. Next start up McV and see if you still see the performance problems. If that works, start up the other processes and let us know (immediately if possible) if you see problems with CPU usage and the lengthy time it takes to switch tabs.
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks for the post. I re-booted my pc and still the saturated CPU began and ended with the beginning and ending of mcidas-v.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Tim,

Please have your video drivers updated. It looks like you are running version 82.68, the latest versions are number 180+. When we first started working with McV, we had problems and updating the drivers helped. TC will have to do this upgrade. Not going to guarantee it will help, but we have to start somewhere.

Rick
TJS

Post by TJS »

With the updated video drivers (version 182.08), my CPU no longer is saturated when I start mcv!

BTW, When installed, could mcidas-v check on the version of the video drivers, given that we know that this is a known issue. Even if it just gave a warning, it would let folks know it might be a performance issue. My guess is that most new users of mcv will give up long before installing new video drivers, if mcv saturates their machine usage.

Thanks.
tim_v

Post by tim_v »

I had this problem on one of my slower computers, and the problem happened when more than 1 or 2 images was loaded in through the Data Explorer (even with 2 GB of RAM). The memory usage was what went through the roof and it appeared to me pagefile was getting thrashed and bottlenecking the performance. It appears McIDAS-V is pretty resource-hungry. I have no problems if I just remove the last product viewed from the Data Explorer before choosing another.

Tim