Map is not correct for Meteosat (SEVERI) data.

Errors and unexpected results
Rick

Map is not correct for Meteosat (SEVERI) data.

Post by Rick »

A user downloaded AREA formatted data from the EUMETSAT archive. The data was from METEOSAT-8 when it had a subpoint of 9:50:00 East. The navigation routines for McIDAS-V are expecting this value in the second word of the navigation block.
Rick

Re: Map is not correct for Meteosat (SEVERI) data.

Post by Rick »

EUMETSAT has been made aware of the problem and will forward the information onto their archive staff.
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

Rick

As an FYI, when SteveW and I used the RSO data for MET-8 (which is at 9.5E) last year, we had to POKE (using Mc-X) the sat-subpoint in to that location. That is a temporary solution while people wait for EUMETSAT to correct their archive, back with mcidas2008

LWU POKE AREA(nnnn) -95000 69

As an FYI, you were on the initial exchange of emails back in March 2009, when I was trying to read the data I got off the DC servers. I forget if it was changed finally in mcidas2009 (i.e if you read in the HRIT it would generate a correct AREA with the right subsatellite point). I had to look through my emails to find this, but it would be something to check as well.
mug_admin
Site Admin

Post by mug_admin »

Thanks William,

Unfortunately the user did not have McIDAS-X, but using that exact solution, we were able to help him out. Poking word 65 is the correct solution.

Rick