Java error when opening McIDAS V

Errors and unexpected results
tbanks

Java error when opening McIDAS V

Post by tbanks »

Hi,

After installation of McIDAS V when attempting to run the program, an error message appears.

The command prompt window appears briefly, (Reading System Configuration) and then a Java Virtual Machine Launcher error: "Could not create the Java virtual machine.".

I have reinstalled the latest version of Java 6 (update 18), and am running Vista Basic.

Thanks in advance,

Todd
davep

Re: Java error when opening McIDAS V

Post by davep »

Hi Todd,

The McIDAS-V installer includes the Java Virtual Machine, which is installed in the "java" subdirectory of the installation path which you specify. The system version of Java should not be affected. Each time you run McIDAS-V any errors and warnings should be written to the "mcidasv.log" file, which will be in C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\.mcidasv by default. Can you please send us the contents of this log file?

You should also have another shortcut in your Start menu labeled "Configure McIDAS-V". If you can successfully run the configuration utility, try setting your memory usage to 512mb for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,

Dave
tbanks

Post by tbanks »

Thanks for your reply Dave,

The configuration utility does run successfully, so I set memory usage to 512; it was much higher than this. McIDAS V starts up fine now. I will post again if there are any other issues. Please find the log file attached if you have time for a look.

Thanks,
Todd
Attachments
log.zip
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
davep

Post by davep »

Todd,

Thanks for sending the .log file! It looks like you are running Vista 32bit, which means the maximum amount of memory available to Java is 1536mb. Do you know how much memory your computer has? McIDAS-V should attempt to use 80% of the available memory by default (1228mb), but your .log file indicates that the amount you were requesting could not be allocated. 512mb is usually a safe number for troubleshooting, but performance will be better if you can allocate more memory to McIDAS-V. We also recommend updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version, as this can affect McIDAS-V's ability to use the available system memory.

Dave
tbanks

Post by tbanks »

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, Vista 32 it is. My desktop machine has 2 GB of RAM (1790 MB of physical memory is shown in Task Manager).
I will check for a graphics card driver update and attempt setting McV memory usage to 1536 MB.

Thanks again,
Todd