redundant subsetting using formulas or colored isosurface

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

redundant subsetting using formulas or colored isosurface

Post by kbedka1 »

I was working with NAM NWP data from the default gridded data catalog and I wanted to do a 3-D isosurface of derived field wind speed colored by another derived 3-D field horizontal divergence. I selected only 9 of the 29 times when I was asked twice for the subsetting, once in my initial field selector and other in the window where I picked my “colored” field. After I created my display, I see along the bottom of the display window that it is loading all 29 times even though I only specifically requested 9. Also, why am I asked twice for subset information, it would make no sense for me to choose a larger area or longer time interval for my coloring field when my initial field will only have a finite spatial/temporal domain.
tomw

Re: redundant subsetting using formulas or colored isosurface

Post by tomw »

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue you said about specifying 9 times, but getting 29 loaded. Perhaps I am not doing the same this?

Regarding defaults: After you "add" the Data Source, in the Field Selector panel, right-click on this data source. Click on "Properties" and then define the time periods you want, and the geographic subset. Apply these, and they will become the default for all subsequent use of the data.

While the "subsetting" panels will appear when you apply a formula that requires selecting a grid (for example, when you color an isosurfaceby "another" parameter, it needs to ask what the "other" parameter is), the defaults offered will be what you originally defined as the defaults for the Data source.

Hope that helps.
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

Here is another example of this, I am doing a simple band difference, a-b. I have to select my subset region for both a and b. There would never be a situation where I'd want to subset different regions for a and b since I'm differencing the two. One should only have to draw one subsetting box here. Also, what's up with the reversed color table in the preview graphics, I can't see the map underneath? :->
Attachments
Picture 69.png
jessica.braun

Post by jessica.braun »

Hi Kris,

I've written up an inquiry for the redundant subsetting issue.

As far as the color table, I believe it is just using the default color table associated with the data.

~Jess