Is it possible to "zoom in" too much?

Errors and unexpected results
tsavos

Is it possible to "zoom in" too much?

Post by tsavos »

I don't know if this is a known bug or something else, but wanted to post it here. It seems that if I "Zoom in" to an image too much, the data drops out on me. I've only done this with satellite imagery so far (hove not tried Radar or other data).

I've attached two images: Zoom1.jpg shows a satellite image that I've zoomed in on. When I try to zoom further, the display is blanked out. I've tried this on three systems (32-bit Linux, 32-bit WinXP, 64-bit WinVista) with the same results.

-Brian
ESPC

Zoom1.jpg

Zoom2.jpg
mug_admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to "zoom in" too much?

Post by mug_admin »

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the report. Yes, this is a known issue in low-level VisAD/IDV, and thus is part of McIDAS-V. According to the thread at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/hel ... 02176.html, what happens is that when you zoom in too far, you zoom through the back clipping plane. And as also noted there, when you get to the point where the image data drops out (goes black) you can click Projections->Use Displayed Area menu to reset the projection to the area in view and zoom in closer.

I was told that in most cases you should be able to zoom in farther when using McV 1.0beta5 than you could zoom when using 1.0beta4. We anticipate that 1.0beta5 should be available soon (hopefully within the next couple weeks).

Thanks,
Barry
tsavos

Re: Is it possible to "zoom in" too much?

Post by tsavos »

Barry,

Yep, that worked!

Thanks,
-Brian