McV won't run.

Errors and unexpected results
jake9wi

McV won't run.

Post by jake9wi »

Using McV 1.8 on Windows Ten x64 (1909) McV shows splash screen but then exits.

I have tried reinstalling and get same error. McV has run fine in the past on this machine.

Log file says contents con not be read:

Code: Select all

PS C:\Users\jake9> cat C:\Users\jake9\McIDAS-V\mcidasv.log
16:56:07.930 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: =============================================================================
16:56:07.934 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: Starting McIDAS-V @ Sat Mar 28 16:56:07 UTC 2020
16:56:07.936 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: Versions:
16:56:07.937 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: McIDAS-V version 1.8 built 2018-12-04 10:30
16:56:07.939 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: IDV version 5.5u1 built 2018-11-06 05:35 UTC
16:56:07.939 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: VisAD version r6578 built Wed Nov 14 15:15:58 CST 2018
16:56:07.956 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: netCDF-Java version 4.6.12-SNAPSHOT built 2018-06-18 14:35:10+0000
16:56:07.956 [main] INFO  edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.McIDASV - main: 32759 MB system memory
16:56:11.964 [Thread-11] WARN  ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil - readContents: could not read contents for '/edu/wisc/ssec/mcidasv/resources/default.py'
java.io.IOException: Could not load resource:/edu/wisc/ssec/mcidasv/resources/default.py
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getInputStream(IOUtil.java:1427)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1739)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1675)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1659)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.doMakeContents(JythonManager.java:579)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.initPythonInner(JythonManager.java:326)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Unable to open:/edu/wisc/ssec/mcidasv/resources/default.py
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getURL(IOUtil.java:1607)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getInputStream(IOUtil.java:1377)
        ... 6 common frames omitted
16:56:12.084 [Thread-11] WARN  ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil - readContents: could not read contents for '/ucar/unidata/idv/resources/python/radar.py'
java.io.IOException: Could not load resource:/ucar/unidata/idv/resources/python/radar.py
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getInputStream(IOUtil.java:1427)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1739)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1675)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.readContents(IOUtil.java:1659)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.doMakeContents(JythonManager.java:579)
        at ucar.unidata.idv.JythonManager.initPythonInner(JythonManager.java:326)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Unable to open:/ucar/unidata/idv/resources/python/radar.py
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getURL(IOUtil.java:1607)
        at ucar.unidata.util.IOUtil.getInputStream(IOUtil.java:1377)
        ... 6 common frames omitted
16:56:26.561 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN  ucar.unidata.util.LogUtil - log: ERROR: Creating display master
Canvas3D: Non-recoverable graphics configuration error
jayh

Re: McV won't run.

Post by jayh »

Hello-

After doing some research, I was wondering if you have recently had something auto-update or some system changes since McV worked last on this machine? We do have this type of error in our FAQ:
Q. Why am I am seeing a "Canvas3D: Non-recoverable graphics configuration error" when installing on my Windows 7 64-bit machine?

A. When installing McIDAS-V on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, the installer may fail and you may see this error message as the last line of your mcidasv.log file: "Canvas3D: Non-recoverable graphics configuration error". If you run into this problem, you should first try updating your drivers and installing McIDAS-V again. If this does not solve the problem, it is possible that there are some graphics cards that do not have 64-bit drivers and thus will not be able to support the 64-bit installers. If this is the case for you, attempt to download McIDAS-V utilizing the 32-bit Windows installer instead of the 64-bit installer.

So, for now, trying to update your graphic card drivers or you may find you have to install an older version if you can match one up from when McV last worked. If that does not help, attempting to use the 32-bit Windows installer may solve the issue.

If you still are having issues, let us know what you tried and we will try to investigate further.

Thanks, Jay
jake9wi

Post by jake9wi »

I don't know which fixed it but I uninstalled McV again but this time before reinstalling I deleted the $env:HOMEPATH\McIDAS-V directory. Also when I went to uninstall McV I noticed NVIDIA had unknowing installed there PhysX package so I uninstalled that as well.
jayh

Post by jayh »

I'm glad you got things working and thanks for letting us know the details. It's possible something was corrupt in your McIDAS-V directory. However, that PhysX package sounds suspicious. Let us know if you have further issues like this.

Thanks, Jay
tsavos

Post by tsavos »

Hi Jay,

I'm having a similar problem with the windows appearing and suddenly disappearing on startup. This happens on both Windows 10 and Linux (64 bit). It looks like a Java error:

Gtk-Message: 12:16:17.325: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007faddf572863, pid=4553, tid=0x00007fada77b5700
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_112-b15) (build 1.8.0_112-b15)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.112-b15 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [i965_dri.so+0x3b5863]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/brian/McIDAS-V-System/lib/hs_err_pid4553.log
[thread 140384311875328 also had an error]
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
./runMcV: line 296: 4553 Aborted (core dumped) "/home/brian/McIDAS-V-System/jre/bin/java" -Xmx3063M -Djava.ext.dirs="/home/brian/McIDAS-V-System/jre/lib/ext" -Djava.library.path="/home/brian/McIDAS-V-System/jre/lib/ext" -Dloglevel="INFO" -Dlogback.configurationFile="/home/brian/McIDAS-V/logback.xml" -Dmcv.userpath="/home/brian/McIDAS-V" -Dmcv.logpath="/home/brian/McIDAS-V/mcidasv.log" -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dpython.security.respectJavaAccessibility=false -jar ./mcidasv-1.8-SNAPSHOT.jar -welcomewindow -Dvisad.java3d.noerasebackground=true -Dvisad.java3d.textureNpot=false -Dvisad.java3d.imageByRef=true -Dvisad.java3d.geometryByRef=true -Didv.3d=true -DtextureWidthMax=4096 -userpath "/home/brian/McIDAS-V"

-Brian Hughes
NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Brian-

I'd like to confirm a few things...

1. It looks like you are running McV version 1.8. And have these systems been running ok previously with 1.8 or are these new installations of 1.8?

2. Did you look at updating graphics drivers on these machines?

3. Can you run with a -tempuserpath? This will check if anything in your environment could cause the error. Do you see the same disappearing window behavior? You can do the following:
- Open a command prompt/terminal window
- cd to your McIDAS-V-System directory where you installed McIDAS-V
- Start McIDAS-V with -tempuserpath:
on Windows: runMcV.bat -tempuserpath
on OS X: ./runMcV -tempuserpath
on Linux: runMcV -tempuserpath

I've looked through the forums and inquiry system and haven't found the exact error. Hopefully these steps will start towards a solution.

Thanks, Jay