Display tab not showing map & data, just a black background

Errors and unexpected results
Diego_Souza

Display tab not showing map & data, just a black background

Post by Diego_Souza »

Hello guys,

I've recently changed my computer and after installing McIDAS-V 1.7u1 the display tab doesn't show the map or any data I open. It just show a black screen (image attached).

I'm using a GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS. The graphics card properties is also attached.

I have also attached my "Advanced" tab in the User Preferences.

I'm using an 8 GB RAM PC (i7 CPU).

Thanks!
Diego
Attachments
Advanced Tab .png
NVIDIA Properties 2.png
NVIDIA Properties 1.png
Dislpay tab error.png
Diego_Souza

Re: Display tab not showing map & data, just a black background

Post by Diego_Souza »

Hmm, I saw this link: https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mc ... asicchecks

and I can't see the spinning cube when I execute the Hello Universe app.

I'm going to check what the cause could be...

Do you have any idea!?

Thanks!
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Diego-

Sorry for the delay in reply. We were wondering if you are still having issues getting -V started with the correct display on your new machine? If so, we have a few more questions and things you can try.

1. When you say that you "can't see the spinning cube," does that mean it's just a black display? Or you see the colored cube, but it doesn't spin? We have seen some security errors when running the jnlp file previously, and want to rule that out.

2. Make sure the graphics card drivers are updated to the most recent version. I looked on the NVIDIA website (https://www.geforce.com/drivers) , and I believe your drivers are from 2015, however that looks to be the latest version for the GeForce 7300/7200 version you have. Under the operating systems listed for the 7 Series, I do not see Windows 10 listed. So, I'm not sure of it's compatibility with Windows 10.

3. There is a 2D display that you could try. If you go to the Main Display window and choose File -> New Display Tab -> Misc -> 2D Map Display. Does this create a tab with the maps displayed?

4. If you haven't figured out the solution with the previous steps, please enable TRACE logging through the User Preferences (Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced tab, change "Log Level:" to TRACE), exit, and restart McV. At this point, send a support request to the help desk (Help > Show Support Request Form from the Main Display window). This will give us your mcidasv.log file which could give some extra information.

Hope this information helps. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Jay
Diego_Souza

Post by Diego_Souza »

Hello Jay,

Sorry for the delay on the reply of the reply =)

In the end I changed my video board from a GF 7200 to a GF 8400 that I had in another unused machine, and now the map is showing properly!

For the 7200 board, here are the answers:

1-) Just a black display
2-) Unfortunatelly, is the latest version
3-) It creates a tab, without the map, just a black screen

In the end I believe the 7 series is not compatible...

Thanks a lot!
Diego
jayh

Post by jayh »

Thanks for the information Diego! This will be good for all users to note.