layer label change causes data reload

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

layer label change causes data reload

Post by kbedka1 »

I am working with a large dataset in McIDAS-V and I notice that when I eliminate a layer label (i.e. the one that displays at the bottom of a plot) in the display properties, it seems that all data fields displayed are forced to reload. This is an arduous process, for example I have 4 displays, only one of which I want to have a label and each time I eliminate one, it takes 5-10 mins for the displays to reload. It is unclear to me why a reload is forced simply due to a seemingly cosmetic layer label issue. I attach a screenshot to show the data reload process
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 4.14.24 PM.png
bobc

Re: layer label change causes data reload

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

By chance, do you have adaptive resolution enabled in your display? The easiest way of checking this would be looking at the layer in the Legend. If you see a gear symbol to the left of the lock icon, then adaptive resolution is being used. Adaptive resolution can be invoked (and thus reload the data) by changing the projection, doing Shift+left-click+drag, and (as you noticed) by clicking OK in the Properties window of the layer.
AR_Gear.png
AR_Gear.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4802 times

I agree with you that if changes are made to the Settings or Color Scale tab of the Properties window of a layer then a reload of the data shouldn't be invoked since nothing in those tabs actually changes how the data is displayed. I've written this up as Inquiry 2582. If you aren't using adaptive resolution, please let me know. I may need a more step-by-step description of what types of data you are working with and the process you are using to display the data.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

No I am not using Adaptive Resolution. I was not happy with the way that feature performed for me in other displays I've made so I disabled it. Here is a sample file I was using:

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/GO ... 2011117.nc

Note that the subset box in the lower right of the Field Selector is performing strangely with this data as well.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

Thanks for the file. I found that displaying the data via a formula then turning off the layer label through the Properties window of the layer causes a reload of all of the layers in the display. Are you using a formula or a derived field to display the data?

Until this problem gets resolved, a potential workaround would be using the Jython Shell. Running two commands per layer should allow you to show/hide layer lables without causing a reload of any data sources. Here are a couple of commands:

Code: Select all

layer = activeDisplay().getLayer(1)
layer.setLayerLabelVisible(False)

The first command uses the "getLayer" method to get a reference to the layer. The numerical value you pass through getLayer is the index that the layer has in the display. This is 0-based, so getLayer(0) would get a reference to the map layer. getLayer(1) gets a reference to the first layer of data displayed (the bottom one listed in the Legend). getLayer(2) gets a reference to the second layer of data displayed, and so on.

I'm also replicating the odd behavior in the Region tab of the Field Selector. I'll see if either of these issues (reload of data sources and Region tab problem) are written up. If they aren't I'll create new inquiries.

If you aren't using formulas/derived fields, please let me know.

Thanks again -
Bob
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I was not using any formulas or derived fields
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

I wanted to follow up on this. Bob is on vacation until early next week. He did write the reloading inquiry for evaluation here in inq. 2584. Thanks for the additional information, and Bob will follow up next week if necessary.

Thanks, Jay
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

I'm having a difficult time replicating this reloading without using any derived fields, formulas, or adaptive resolution. Could you please give me some more information?

1. What version/date of McIDAS-V are you using? You can find this by going to "Help > About McIDAS-V" in the Main Display window. The version and build-date will be near the top of the McIDAS-V tab of the About McIDAS-V window.
  2. Can you give me more specifics on yow you are displaying the data? For example:
    • What fields are you displaying and what order are you displaying them in?
    • What display types are you using?
    • Are you doing any subsetting of the data before displaying, either in the Region or Data Sampling tab of the Field Selector?

Knowing this information may help me replicate the bug.

Thanks -
Bob
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

1.7beta1 9-22-2017 Nightly

I think I chose IR temperature first, then anvil, then visible texture rating, then OT Probability. Color-shaded plan view. I did subset the Northern Hemisphere as the Southern Hemisphere GOES data has irregular scanning.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

Sorry for the delayed response. I tested this out on my Windows machine and I'm replicating a delay when disabling a layer label for a displayed layer. I'm not seeing any actual text written at the bottom of the display saying that it is reloading the displayed data sources, but it appears that is what is happening. I've modified the summary of Inquiry 2584 slightly to include this case, where layers displayed without a formula or derived field can still cause a reload of the data.

Thanks -
Bob