bugs in imagery chooser

Errors and unexpected results
hproe

bugs in imagery chooser

Post by hproe »

Hi -

It appears that since a few nightlies, at least under Windows 10), the satellite image chooser has several bugs.

1. When choosing a single band for display, the chooser widget comes up with the field of view in the black box misplaced/miszoomed and a some other strange things like in the attached screen capture. Drawing the area selection box (after having shifted/zoomed the map) gives a correct image size but indicates lat/lon as missing (under the Advanced tab).

2. When trying to display an EUMETSAT RGB, the area selection box cannot even been drawn. Alternatively, fixing the area by hand in the Advanced tab, no selection box is drwan under the Region tab.

cheers, HP
Attachments
chooser.png
bobc

Re: bugs in imagery chooser

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

Thanks for reporting this. Our programmer (as part of Inquiry 2496) has been attempting several improvements to the ADDE chooser to speed things up between selecting the calibration in the Field Selector and when the preview image in the Region tab is generated. This is still a work in progress, and thus there may be some bugs. I'll make sure to pass this off to the programmer so he is aware of the problem. From looking at the Action section of that inquiry, I see that the first commit against it was on 08/18. If you want to revert back to a nightly from before any of these changes, let me know. I have a Windows 64-bit installer on my machine from 08/18 that I can post to our FTP for you if you don't have it.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -
Many thanks for the information. I have nightlies before 18 August in store and will revert to one of them.
HP
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

I have installed the nightly of 13 August. With this version my point 1 is fine again. But there remains a problem with generating RGBs with my formulas. I cannot se the selection box under the Region tab, although looking under the Advanced tab lat/lon and image size have been picked up fine. The way around this blind area selection, one can load a single band first and do the area selection there because with a single band the selection box gets drawn.
-->> Problems with the chooser have started earlier than 13 August.

HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks, HP. I'm replicating what you are seeing with the selection box not drawing in the Region tab. It looks like this problem began in the nightly from 06/08. I wrote this up as Inquiry 2580. I made the programmer aware of the issue, and I'll give you status updates on both of these inquiries if there are any changes.

Thanks -
Bob
hproe

Post by hproe »

Confirmed. The nightly of 5 June works fine. Hopefully the problems with the chooser are solved soon.
Thanks, HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

I did some more testing of this, and I found that using the 08/18 nightly (the version from right before issue 1 from your first post appeared) I'm able to draw and see the bounding box as long as I have "Create preview image" enabled. This option is at the bottom of the Data Sources tab of the Data Explorer in the Satellite>Imagery chooser. With this box checked before clicking Add Source, the preview in the Region tab of the Field Selector will show data on the map and the bounding box will be visible.

Perhaps this will be an option for you to have a more recent version of the nightly until the issues get resolved. If you give this a try and have problems, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

I have Create preview images always checked. And yes, it works for single-band calls, but the selection box is not drawn for RGBs, although the region gets defined in the Advanced tab. So, I revert to the June nightly and wait.

thanks anyway, HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks for clarifying that, HP. I had tried working through the actual RGB formulas from the RGB-Eumetsat plugin, where the bounding box works correctly when individually selecting each band in the Field Selector window. However, as you mention, it doesn't work using the SEVIRI RGB derived fields in the Field Selector.

I added these points to the inquiry.

Thanks again for reporting this -
Bob
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

There have been a couple of changes in the nightly that should fix both of the issues you mentioned in this post:

1. Misplacement of bounding box in the Region tab.
  2. Unable to see bounding box when drawn with no preview image enabled (or when evaluating a formula/derived field)

I've only briefly checked this on Windows 7 thus far, but it looks to be working as expected. If you pick up the nightly and run into any problems, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob