Soundings Image not saved with Windows 10

Errors and unexpected results
tmorrow

Soundings Image not saved with Windows 10

Post by tmorrow »

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 with the resultant issue of not being able to save the Soundings Image;
View > Soundings Chart > Capture > Image

Using this menu chain results in the Panel Image being saved.

The Soundings Table is OK.

I am using McIDAS V Version 1.6.

Anyone know of a workaround?

Tim Morrow
Australian Bureau of Meteorology
Melbourne
barryr

Re: Soundings Image not saved with Windows 10

Post by barryr »

Hi Tim,
Can you tell us which of the "Capture What" options you're selecting in the View > Soundings Chart > Capture > Image window?

I'm running McV 1.6 on a Windows 7 box. If I select "Current View" I get this:
soundings_chart_Current_View.jpg

If I select "Full Window" I get this:
soundings_chart_Full_Window.jpg

If I first undock the sounding displays from the Data Explorer (with View > Undock from Data Explorer) then select "Full Window" I get this:
soundings_chart_undocked_Full_Window.jpg

A coworker did the same tests on his Windows 10 computer, and obtained the same results. Do you receive similar results? Is one of these what you're looking for, or is it something different? If it's different, let us know things like what image format you're saving to (GIF, JPG, etc), if you're using a two-monitor system, and whether it worked on the previous OS (before Windows 10). Also feel free to include screenshots in your reply. :-)

Thanks,
Barry Roth
tmorrow

Post by tmorrow »

Thanks for everyones' reply.

I was using the menu as described in your replies.

The one piece of information I did not supply - the system I am using is a dual monitor and extended desktop, with the main display and explorer on different monitors.

In a hunch, I tried moving the Explorer window onto the screen with the main panel, and PRESTO! it saved the sounding profile.

So is this a Windows 10 bug or a MCIDAS bug?

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

Tim Morrow
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Tim -

Thanks for following up with this. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue by moving the Data Explorer window to your primary monitor. We have Inquiry 2353 written up to cover this bug, where capturing an image from the secondary monitor doesn't work correctly. Along with this being an issue capturing an image of the Data Explorer (such as a sounding), this is also a problem with the Main Display window.

There have been other issues with working on a secondary monitor as well, including attempting to add a display to the Main Display window. We have a note in the FAQ of the User's Guide about this, were we suggest users work in the primary monitor.

If there are any updates on Inquiry 2353 I will let you know.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk