Korean Level II Radar Data

Errors and unexpected results
tsavos

Korean Level II Radar Data

Post by tsavos »

I searched the forums to see if this has been posted.

The NWS has been distributing NEXRAD LEvel II data from two sites in South Korea: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/notification ... level3.htm

Using McIDAS-V 1.6 on both Windows and Linux (64-bit), and I also tested with a Mac, the sites are plotted at 0,0. (Testing using the NOAA WCT plots the radars correctly).

Data sources are both NCEI downloaded and the Unidata THREDDS service.
bobc

Re: Korean Level II Radar Data

Post by bobc »

Hello tsavos -

Thanks for noting this issue. McIDAS-V has a database of known radar stations and these two stations over South Korea aren't included in this database so they plot at lat/lon 0/0. I've written up adding these stations as McIDAS-V Inquiry 2412. The only workaround for adding these stations so they can be worked with in McIDAS-V 1.6 is to add a nextradstations.xml file to your McIDAS-V directory.
nexradstations.xml
(363 Bytes) Downloaded 371 times

With this file in your /User/McIDAS-V directory, you should see "Camp Humphrys, Korea (RKSG)" and "Kunsan, Korea (RKJK)" in the Station dropdown in the Radar > Level II > Local chooser and the data will display at the proper lat/lon location.

If you are looking to work with this data remotely though the Radar>Level II>Remote chooser, I've written up adding this enhancement as McIDAS-V Inquiry 2413. Even with this nexradstations.xml file in the McIDAS-V directory, these South Korea stations don't appear on the map. Right now, it looks like the only way to work with this data is for it to be locally on your machine.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
tsavos

Re: Korean Level II Radar Data

Post by tsavos »

That worked, thanks!
Attachments
RKSG_Level II_08221857.png