operation order matters

Errors and unexpected results
Bernie Connell

operation order matters

Post by Bernie Connell »

I like to have a color bar on the infrared image and show it in degrees C. I recently found out that the order of applying these features matters. For the AREA file, I loaded it in as temperature. I added the satellite/legacy/convection color table and changed the range to use predefined from the color table. Next I changed the display unit (from Layer Controls/Edit) and then turned on the color bar via Layer Controls/Edit/Properties/Color Scale. The result is the attached figure ChangeUnitFirst.PNG If I load the same image but add the color bar first and then change the unit, the result is the attached figure AddColorBarFirst.PNG The image disappears!
The first time I encountered this, I was using a geotiff image, but the same thing happens with this 2-byte file I have on hand. I just tried it with a file from adde.ucar.edu dataset: RTIMAGES for GW-IR 10.7 um and it didn't happen, so hmmm?

The AREA file I used is the *.c04 file here: ftp://ftp.cira.colostate.edu/ftp/connell/test_files/ Also there is a geotiff file that does a similar thing (although you need to divide by 10 when loading the file).
Attachments
AddColorBarFirst.PNG
ChangeUnitFirst.PNG
barryr

Re: operation order matters

Post by barryr »

Hi Bernie,
Thanks for reporting this, as well as the detailed steps you used to show the problem. I've been able to replicate it on my Windows workstation.

I believe this is the same problem as was reported in the "display label missing" thread, which was written up as inquiry 2334. I will add a note to that thread and the inquiry so that the programmer has another example of where it fails.

There is a workaround mentioned in that thread that I believe will also work for you. It's the 28 Apr 2016, 14:47 post from "bobc", where you create a new tab and move the contents from the incomplete one (AddColorBarFirst.PNG in your example) to the new tab using the drag and drop feature. I copied the procedure below for convenience:

The only workaround I have is to create a new 4-panel display and use the drag and drop feature to move your layers from the tab with the bad panel to the new tab. Here's a description of how to go about doing that:

To make things easier, I renamed my tabs to TAB 1 and TAB 2. To do this, I double-clicked on the tab in the Main Display and entered the new tab names in the Rename Tab window:
tabRename.png

From here, go to the Data Explorer window to use the drag and drop functionality:
dragAndDrop.png

Here's a description of how use drag and drop:

From step 1 in the above image, select the first layer in the first panel of the broken tab (TAB1>Panel 1).
From step 2 in the above image, left-click on the "Drag and drop to a window component" hand icon at the bottom of the screen.
From step 3 in the above image, with the left mouse button still held down, move your mouse over TAB2>Panel 1 and release the mouse button. This moves the layer from panel 1 of tab 1 to panel 1 of tab 2.
Repeat step 3 for the remaining layers.

One thing to note about this drag and drop functionality is that it maintains the projection of the panel you are adding the layer to. For example, if the new panel is in the world projection, it will remain in the world projection once the layer is moved there. I was able to get this method to work when a panel in the first tab wouldn't show any layer labels. After everything was moved to the second tab, all of the layer labels were visible.

Thanks,
Barry