layout model editor->color by parameter

Errors and unexpected results
joleenf

layout model editor->color by parameter

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I was not able to use the color by parameter feature of the layout model editor. While I can add Parameter Values, the color field does not allow me to select a new color or clear the field. Is there an inquiry for this or am I using this feature incorrectly?

McIDAS-V 1.6 beta 1, 2015-07-20

Thanks,
Joleen
Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 6.14.02 AM.png
Rick

Re: layout model editor->color by parameter

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

This option broke with 1.5. I created inquiry 2125 to address the problem.

Rick
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Thanks.

Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I have a set of amv winds. I need to plot one level at a time for 5 levels. In light of the fact that the color by parameter option is broken, will I have to create 5 different amv color tables, with appropriate level opaque with the rest transparent (and perhaps one more with all levels opaque), along with 5 different amv station models to use the 5 different color tables? Or, is there a simpler approach?

This will be used for srso data, so somehow I have to script it.

Thanks,
Joleen
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

The 'Color From Parameter' option in the Layout Model Editor should be working in recent nightlies.

If you are unable to figure out exactly how to accomplish what you are trying to do, or if you don't want to use a nightly, can you please post a sample file that includes the 5 levels?

Thanks -
Bob Carp
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Bob,

This still does not appear to be working. In the past, "color by parameter" superseded "display parameter" colors. This is not happening now. Perhaps it is a good idea for the user to set the hierarchy because while the station model tool is flexible, which coloration parameter takes precedence over the other is not transparent to the user except through trial and error.

Also, the station model changes are saving regardless of whether or not I click "Save" or click "Cancel" in response to whether or not I want to save changes. If I have clicked "apply" when working on the station model, the changes save regardless of my response to the question. If I click
"ok" in the station model template, then the answer to the question of whether or not the changes should be saved is honored by the software.

Thanks,
Joleen
Attachments
A Point Listing of the Pressure values
A Point Listing of the Pressure values
Display Parameter Settings
Display Parameter Settings
Color By Parameter Settings
Color By Parameter Settings
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

In the Color From Parameter tab, instead of entering values in the order of [max,min], can you try [min,max]? For example, instead of [1000,800], try [800,1000]. It appears that this is the order that the values need to be entered for them to be applied. If they are in the order of max, min, McIDAS-V isn't using that range, so it reverts back to the Foreground Color specified in the Display tab of the WindBarb Symbol Properties window, which is why all of your wind barbs are colored pink. I'll update the documentation to make sure that it mentions that the values must be entered in the order of min,max.

As for the saving of the layout models, I'm replicating this problem. I wrote this up as Inquiry 2163.

Please let me know if changing the order of your color-by values doesn't help.

Thanks -
Bob
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Thanks Bob, that was a silly mistake on my part. The color by parameter option works when I enter the values in the correct order.

Joleen