Map only displaying on 150hPA and lower images

Errors and unexpected results
weatherextreme

Map only displaying on 150hPA and lower images

Post by weatherextreme »

Hello,

When I plot wind speeds of gfs analysis data over Antarctica I see the map of the countries on 1000 hPA to 150hPA levels. However when I plot anything higher than 150hPA the map disappears!

I checked and made sure the map is on top (toggle set to 1).

Any suggestions???

Thanks.
barryr

Re: Map only displaying on 150hPA and lower images

Post by barryr »

Hi,
I believe what you're seeing is a case where the data you're displaying (at levels 150hPA and above) are at a higher elevation than the vertical range setting (which defaults to 16000 m).

You can see this by changing the Position slider at the bottom of the Layer Controls for the Default Background Maps to the "Top" position, then going back to the main display and clicking the "Set the vertical range" button (the spring icon on the vertical viewpoint toolbar). If the Vertical Scale window that appears has 16000 in its "Max Value" field, you can change it to a higher value (e.g., 40000 m) to raise the map up above the data.

See below for a screenshot showing a Color-Filled Contour Plan View of GFS 10hPA wind speeds with the vertical range setting at 40000 meters (via the "Set the vertical range" button that the red arrow is pointing at) and the map set to the "Top" position.

Please let me know if that helps.
Thank you,
Barry
Attachments
gfs_winds_southpole.jpg
weatherextreme

Re: Map only displaying on 150hPA and lower images

Post by weatherextreme »

Thank you Barry! That worked.
Elizabeth