Errors and unexpected results
Greg

error mcidasv.log

Post by Greg »

Hello:

Just started throwing this error when starting McV:

Reading system configuration...
C:\Documents and Settings\salg\.mcidasv\mcidasv.log
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
A duplicate file name exists, or the file
cannot be found.
Command line: jre\bin\javaw.exe -Xmx1228M -cp idv.jar -jar mcidasv.jar -Didv.3
=true -Didv.sysmem=1536 -bundle ""
Press any key to continue . . .

Not sure what is accessing this file. McIDAS-V 1.3 beta

Thanks ..

Greg ..
barryr

Re: error mcidasv.log

Post by barryr »

Hi Greg,
I checked the inquiry system and forums and didn't find any previous reports of this problem. I also asked one of the McV system programmers, and he'd never heard of it occurring, either.

The problem could be as simple as having the mcidasv.log file opened in a text editor when you tried to start McIDAS-V. Or maybe something odd happened that was trying to write to the file when the previous session crashed?

In any case, our suggestion is to either exit and restart Windows and then McIDAS-V, or (to be less drastic), quit McIDAS-V and start up the Windows Task Manager and kill off any extra "javaw.exe" processes - noting that doing so would kill off any other Java applications that are running.

Let me know if these help!
Thanks,
Barry
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks Barry. Restarting windows did the trick.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi:

I am getting the same error again. I can not start McIDAS-V. I have to restart windows. There is no javaw.exe running. This happened after McIDAS-V crashed.

Thanks ...

Greg ...
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hey Greg,
Thanks for letting us know that this has happened multiple times. Are you still running 1.0beta3, or a different version (nightly or something else)?

Thanks,
Barry
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Barry:

It is happening both with beta 1.3 and the nightly (1.4). What I did was create another batch file with the McIDAS-V command line to start the application. That seems to remedy the problem.

Greg ...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good Evening:

Seems I am having problems with the local ADDE server. At times it is listening on port 8112 and everything works fine. Then for some reason it goes to 8113 and 8114 etc and local data can not be accessed. When this happens I can't start McIDAS-V. I did Ctrl-Alt-Del and I noticed several instances of mcservl.exe running. I ended those processes and I could start McIDAS-V and local ADDE is working again. When McIDAS-V is closed should mcservl.exe also end? I noticed even with McIDAS-V closed sometimes mcservl.exe is still running. This may be responsible for the problem noted above. Is there a way to end the process mcservl.exe when exiting McIDAS-V?

Running beta4 ... just downloaded today. Although have had same problems with beta3.

Thanks

Greg ...
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Greg-

mcservl.exe can take up to 10 seconds to stop after McV exits, and if you start McV again within that 10 seconds the mcservl process might not go away. We beta3 and 4 do a better job of cleaning up mcservl.exe processes, but they still can slip by and cause the Local ADDE manager problems you are seeing.

The programmer has some possible thoughts on cleaning this up some more, I'm going to write an inquiry for him to look into it. Thanks for the report.

Thanks, Jay