cannot probe this file

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

cannot probe this file

Post by kbedka1 »

I am trying to probe parameters in the file on your ftp server at pub/incoming/ztop_low_GEOS2.nc with command->left click, but I am only getting a read out of the lat/lon coordinates and no data. The probe capability is vital to our work here at LaRC so if there is any way to make this work, please let me know
bobc

Re: cannot probe this file

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

I picked up your file and it appears that some fields (ex. 'Skin temperature') can probe, but others (ex. 'Solar Infrared temperature (3.9 um)') can't probe. I was able to get this 'Skin Infrared temperature (3.9 um)' field to probe in beta2, but it requires Adaptive Resolution being turned on:

Steps:
1 - Make sure that Adaptive Resolution is turned on in the display
2 - Display the 'Solar Infrared temperature (3.9um)' field using Color-Shaded Plan View
3 - Change the projection to something like 'CONUS' or 'Texas' or sample the domain of the data using Shift+left-click+drag

... after changing the projection/sampling the domain of the data, then the data can be probed. Since this process requires Adaptive Resolution, it can't be done in either 1.4 or 1.5beta1.

I wrote this problem up as Inquiry 1941, to come up with a way to get the data to probe when the display is created instead of having to change the projection or sample the data with Adaptive Resolution. If you decide to give the 1.5beta2 build a try and run into any problems, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I tried 1.5beta2 but found the adaptive resolution to be quite buggy. After a data field is display, turning off adaptive resolution does not automatically cause the data to be displayed at full resolution which is what I'd expect to happen. You can get "stuck" with a coarse resolution display no matter how far you zoom in after the adaptive is turned off, causing one to have to reload the data. I didn't have time to deal with this, so I reverted back to beta1.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

Thanks for giving the beta2 build a try. There still are some buggy things with adaptive resolution. We are still considering it to be under development, and we are planning on having adaptive resolution turned OFF by default in the 1.5 release until we can get it working with Satellite data and work out various other bugs. Hopefully this post will help relieve some confusion about adaptive resolution.

You mentioned that you expected turning off adaptive resolution would give you the full resolution. In its current implementation, turning off adaptive resolution will leave the layer displayed as-is. So if you are at a sampling of every 3rd pixel and you turn off adaptive resolution for the layer, you will be stuck at every third pixel.

The method we are implementing to go from a sampled-down display to full resolution without having to change the projection is to use the new Resolution Control button in the Legend of the Main Display. This Resolution Control button appears as a gear-shaped icon to the right of the blue text for the layer, next to the visibility animation lock and trashcan buttons. With adaptive resolution on, any layer that can use adaptive resolution (currently point and grids) will have this icon. When this icon is clicked on, there are options to turn adaptive resolution on or off for the layer, or to go to 'Full Res'. This 'Full Res' feature is still a little buggy, but this is what you would use in the end to go to full resolution.

To get a full resolution display of your data currently with adaptive resolution, you may have to change to a projection like 'Texas'. This appears to zoom the display in close enough to the data so you get a full resolution display (the data sampling text in the Legend goes away, meaning that the full resolution of the data is displayed).

Thanks -
Bob