Sattellite imagery problem location

Errors and unexpected results
kamalelka

Sattellite imagery problem location

Post by kamalelka »

I use Eumetsat imagery (McIDAS form), It is the correct data just in the wrong place when i projetc it in McIDAS.

I have already used these data without any problem before. Now I do not know what to do, I tried to uninstall and reinstall McIDAS but I still have the same problem. there is any help please?.
Attachments
pb location eumetsat image.jpg
bobc

Re: Sattellite imagery problem location

Post by bobc »

Hello kamalelka -

Can you please post your data to our anonymous ftp?

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
anonymous (for username)
email address (for password)
cd pub/incoming
bin
put file_name

Once you post the data, please let me know the file name(s) and I will investigate the navigation shift you're seeing. Also, can you let me know exactly what the data is (Satellite, Instrument and Product)? For example, in the EUMETSAT EO Portal, in the Query and Order tab, you can change the Tree Sorting to 'Sat -> Inst -> Prod'.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
kamalelka

Post by kamalelka »

thanks bobc for your reply.

i had put two file via ftp :
Mcidas_MSG2-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20131122103417.VIS8
and
Mcidas_MSG2-SEVI-MSG15-0100-NA-20131122125416.VIS6

I use Meteosat 9 and the tree sorting prod -> sat -> inst.
I make a new order today using sat -> Inst -> Prod as you suggest.

when i receive it i will inform you about the result.
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hello kamalelka -

Your data is rapid-scanning data from Meteosat-9. I can confirm that these data sets retrieved from the EUMETSAT archive in AREA format do not navigate correctly in McIDAS. In fact, as you noted the images are west-shifted. If you look closer the shift is 9.5°, and 9.5°E is the position of Meteosat-9 in back-up mode, i.e. from where it is rapid-scanning since Meteosat-10 became operational. Obviously, the shift of its position has never been implented in the AREA format offered by the EUMETSAT archive. The solution is to retrieve all MSG data in HRIT format and use the local HRIT server that part of McIDAS-V from version 1.4 onward. The HRIT format is fully maintained because it is used in real-time data streams, while it looks like the AREA format has been abandoned for an apparent lack of users.

cheers, HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi kamalelka and HP -

Thanks for the comments, HP. I picked up kamalelka's files off our ftp and I verified the navigation shift. I also ordered the same data through the EUMETSAT EO Portal with the Format Type of 'HRIT data sets in tar file', and as HP noted, if I set up a local ADDE server with the format of 'MSG HRIT FD' then the navigation shift is resolved (see the attached image).

msg_hrit.png

Thanks -
Bob
kamalelka

Post by kamalelka »

Thank you Bob and HP.

and sorry to do it late.

i did waht you told me and it works

kamal