subsetting not working correctly, polar orbiting swath

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

Re: subsetting not working correctly, polar orbiting swath

Post by kbedka1 »

Ghansham, any news or progress on this topic?
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Sorry about to have no updates. Caught up with some high
priority stuff. Give me some more time. I will get back
with some solution.
Regards
Ghansham
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I have a small 1000-scanline segment of polar orbiter NetCDF data over the tropics that I'm working with. The segment crosses the dateline which causes problems when trying to subset the data. Recall that subsetting is required to allow one to probe pixel level values at the cursor location.

See attached examples. The domain in the lower right of the Data Explorer appears to extend across the world due to the dateline crossing of the dataset. But one would think that drawing a box around the east and west end of the box would get the job done (except for maybe a small seam in the middle of the domain because it is hard to draw the box to the exact domain edge?). When I draw a box on the east end as show in the example, I get the attached error message. The box on the west end works though.

It is very important to the work of my group to be able to probe individual pixel values anywhere on the earth. So if there's any way that dateline crossings can be supported, it would be highly beneficial to us.
Attachments
picture 2014-12-08 at 10.42.27 AM.png
picture 2014-12-08 at 10.42.07 AM.png
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

Could you post your file on ftp.ssec.wisc.edu in pub/incoming? I'd like to add this to our testing files that demonstrate dateline problems.

Thanks, Jay
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I put a file on your ftp server at pub/incoming/D07267.S0044.E0239_11001_12000.nc
jayh

Post by jayh »

Thanks Kris! I can recreate your errors and see the problems probing. I've added this information and this forum link to the inquiry dealing with these issues: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1128

Thanks, Jay