Mcv 1.5beta2 and 1.5beta12014-06-24 map position

Errors and unexpected results
carlospsneto

Mcv 1.5beta2 and 1.5beta12014-06-24 map position

Post by carlospsneto »

I notice that the newest nightly doesn't have a Map Position option anymore.
Now any data overlaps the map, resulting in a display with no map information.
I'm attaching a example. One image made with older beta1 and one made with the newest with no map.

I notice this on a linux environment

Thank you
Attachments
Sat_nomap.jpg
IR2.jpg
bobc

Re: Mcv 1.5beta2 and 1.5beta12014-06-24 map position

Post by bobc »

Hello -

Just for some clarification, are you trying to set the vertical position of the map layer though scripting or by clicking through the GUI?

Thanks -
Bob Carp
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

When i generate a image though script, I didn't need to set vertical position because the resulting image was the same IR2.jpg(attached image).
Just when i display images with McIDAS open the resulting image overlaps the map. So i tried to set the vertical position of the map by clicking through the GUI, and i noticed that doesn't have this option anymore .
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

Thanks for the clarification that you're seeing the problem when working through the GUI. When you are trying to set the vertical positioning of your map layer, are you using the Default Background Maps in the Layer Controls of the Data Explorer? I checked on two Linux machines (64-bit and 32-bit), and verified that there is a Position slider at the bottom of the tab.
positionSlider.png

If you aren't seeing this Position slider or you're working with a different map (ex. through a shapefile or a catalog), can you please let me know step-by-step what you're doing to display your data?

An alternative approach to setting the vertical positioning of the map layer (if both the map and the satellite data are at the same vertical position in the display) is to bring the map to the front of the display. To do this, right-click on the map layer in the Legend and choose View>Bring To Front. This will keep both the map and the imagery data at the same vertical position, while displaying the map data on top.

Thanks -
Bob
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

That is really strange. I'm using the Default Background Maps and i don't have that option. See the attached image.
I already tried the bring to front approach and nothing happened.
Attachments
DefaultMaps.png
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

This is a pretty strange one. One thing in your Maps tab that is different than mine is the 'Brasil' map. Do you remember how you added this? A couple ways are:

- Via 'Edit>Add Your Own Map' in the Layer Controls
- Via a plugin. Check your Plugin Manager (Tools>Manage>Plugins) in the Main Display. At the top of the Plugin Manager, do you see see anything under 'Installed Plugins'?

If you do see any installed plugins, can you exit McIDAS-V and the restart with 'runMcV -noplugins'. This will start McIDAS-V without any plugins installed. Do you see the map's Position slider now?

Thanks -
Bob
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

I added Via 'Edit>Add Your Own Map' in the Layer Controls.
I had no map position slider before i add that map, also I did the same thing on Windows and didn't change anything.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

One of the changes in the beta2 nightlies is that we have updated to Java 7. We have noticed a couple of oddities on different platforms that we are in the process of working through. Just to verify that there's no setting or preference that could somehow be affecting the Position slider, can you please do the following:

- On Linux, inside of your /home/user account, you should see a McIDAS-V directory. Change the name of this directory to McIDAS-V2.
- Start up McIDAS-V.
- Do you see the Position slider now?

The McIDAS-V directory contains user settings, preferences, color enhancements, formulas, etc. that are carried over from version to version. Changing the name of the McIDAS-V directory will start up McIDAS-V cleanly, as if it were the first time run on your machine and create a fresh McIDAS-V directory. Once this test is done, you can remove the new McIDAS-V directory that was just created, and change the name of McIDAS-V2 back to McIDAS-V. This should put you back where you started.

Please let me know if changing the name of your McIDAS-V directory helps. If it doesn't, can you please let us know exactly what operating system versions you are running on your Linux and Windows machines?

Thanks -
Bob
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

Hello Bob,

I did what you told and now i see the Position slider.

thank you for your guidance.