Data Explorer Fields tab no Times/Region/Advanced Tabs

Errors and unexpected results
CraigM

Data Explorer Fields tab no Times/Region/Advanced Tabs

Post by CraigM »

Hi,

I have recently installed McV Ver.1.4 64-bit onto my new PC. OS is Win7.

Previous install was working fine. This latest install does not display the Times/Region/Advanced tabs in the Data Explorer Fields window for Satellite imagery.
I am attempting to display MTSAT imagery over a higher resolution and smaller domain but without the Tab features - no go!!

NWP model data within the Fields window presents the Times/... tabs as expected.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards Craig
barryr

Re: Data Explorer Fields tab no Times/Region/Advanced Tabs

Post by barryr »

Hi CraigM,
I haven't heard of anyone else reporting this problem. One thing to remember with the Image chooser is that the Data Explorer's Times/Region/Advanced tabs do not appear until you've selected the calibration (e.g., Raw, Radiance, Temperature and Brightness) for the band/wavelength you wish to display.

The attached files (tabs_missing.jpg and tabs_present.jpg) are screenshots showing that those tabs are present only if I have selected the calibration.

Can you try it again on your system, making sure that you select the calibration? Then let us know if that helps.

Thanks,
Barry
Attachments
tabs_missing.jpg
tabs_present.jpg
CraigM

Post by CraigM »

Hi Barry,

I failed to mention that I did choose the calibration Raw/Brightness/Temp. On each occasion, the Times/../Adv tabs failed to appear. This has happened in the past on my previous PC and also on an independent PC on another work desk using similarly Win7 OS. I can't remember what solved the issue in the past and am uncertain if it is a local resources issue (given that I have a number of chrome Tabs opened on multi workspaces).

Interestingly, the Times/...Adv tabs display when creating model NWP data files given no change to the setup or window configuration on my PC.

Dumbfounded??????

Regards
Craig
CraigM

Post by CraigM »

Hi Barry,

I have figured out how (but not why) the Satellite Field Tabs (Times/.../Adv) are not visible when viewing Satellite data.

I am using a multi-screen workstation. It appears that when the Explorer window is not coincident with the Main viewing window, the Fields Tabs do not load.
Using trial and error and some good fortune, when I re-started Explorer in the same window as the McV viewer, the Field Tabs displayed as expected.

Up and going again......

Cheers Craig
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Craig -

Thanks for the followup, we're glad that you're up and running again. There are known issues where certain graphics card/driver combinations don't allow certain things to work properly (including problems with the tabs in the Field Selector) when either the Main Display window or the Data Explorer window are on the secondary monitor. We recommend that users work with both windows on the main monitor (monitor 1) to avoid complications.

This is actually written up in the Common Run-Time Errors FAQ page in the User's Guide for a bit more information.
Q. Why am I having drawing problems on Monitor2 of a two-monitor system?

A. Some graphics card/driver combinations don't allow McIDAS-V window functions to work correctly in Monitor2 of two-monitor systems. For example, if your system has this problem and you move the McIDAS-V windows to Monitor2, the Image Chooser's Advanced tab in the Field Selector may not be visible, or adding a new tab in the Main Display may result in most of the window going blank ("graying out"). You may also receive the error (or see it in the mcidasv.log file), '...adding a container to a container on a different GraphicsDevice'.

For now, the only working solution for this problem is to move the McIDAS-V windows to Monitor1. After doing this, the windows should display correctly and you should be able to successfully add new tabs and run bundles.

If you are running Red Hat with a NVIDIA graphics card using TwinView and are having problems, go to the preferences, click on the primary display, and make sure the "Make this the primary display..." checkbox is checked.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk