Local Dataset connection erro

Errors and unexpected results
carlospsneto

Local Dataset connection erro

Post by carlospsneto »

Hi to all.
I'm having some problems with my locals dataset. I can't connect to any of them. It used to connect fine and now i receive a error message (image). I did not change anything and now it won't work
What do you think the problem is?
Attachments
EditLocaldataset.png
Error.png
bobc

Re: Local Dataset connection erro

Post by bobc »

Hello -

This 'Dataset may require ADDE accounting information' error can point to a variety of problems. You can try going down this list to see if one of these suggestions helps.

1. A firewall blocking port 8112 (the first port that the local servers use) is one of the more common causes of the error. Can you check your firewall setup and see if you have port 8112 blocked? I find it odd that your local servers worked and now they don't, but perhaps updating something outside of McIDAS-V (i.e. a security software/system update) could have led to this happening.

2. Recently, we have seen users run into this error when they don't have full permissions to the directory that the data is stored in. Can you check your permissions on the directory with your MSG HRIT FD files and verify that nothing could have changed there?

3. Can you go to the ADDE Data Manager (Tools -> Manage ADDE Datasets) and see if it says if local servers are running or not at the bottom? If it says they are not running, through the ADDE Data Manager, does using 'Local Servers -> Start Local Servers' help? If port 8112 is unusable, using this menu item should attempt to use local servers through port 8113 instead.

4. If you exit McIDAS-V, can you look at the list of processes running and make sure that there are no 'mcservl' processes running? mcservl is the server listening process. These should run during your session, but should all then kill themselves about 10 seconds after exiting. If McIDAS-V is started when one of these mcservl processes is still hanging around, you will get the accounting error when connecting to a local server.

5. Other troubleshooting steps can be found in the tutorial satellite imagery forum post, where we gave a user multiple suggestions to attempt resolving local server problems.

6. To verify that none of your local McIDAS-V settings have changed, can you try renaming your McIDAS-V directory to McIDAS-V2 and starting McIDAS-V? If local servers work at this point, it is something within McIDAS-V that was causing the problem (maybe something like a plugin), and if they still fail then it is likely a problem on your machine.

If none of this helps, can you please let us know:
- Are you able to connect to any remote data? e.g. Satellite>Imagery ... adde.ucar.edu/RTIMAGES/GE-VIS.
- What operating system are you using?
- What version of McIDAS-V are you running? You can find this in the 'Help -> About McIDAS-V' menu item in the Main Display.
- In our McIDAS-V nightly build, we have made some changes where instead of getting this generic accounting error, you now get a message that points better at the problem (e.g. it tells you if you have a firewall problem, etc). If you are interested in this nightly build, let me know and I can send you the URL/accounting information for it.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
carlospsneto

Post by carlospsneto »

Thank you Bob.

I will try to do what you told.

One thing that i'm think it is strange:
When i did suggestion 3 the message is: "Local Servers quit unexpectedly" .
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello -

To me, the 'Local Servers quit unexpectedly' message when attempting suggestion 3 points to a firewall. Did you get a chance to go through all of the steps that I gave you? If so, are your local servers back up and running? If not, I can send you the URL and accounting information to pick up our nightly build that should give you a better error message to help point to what the problem is.

Thanks -
Bob